Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello from TN

MKruger

Cavy Slave
Hi! I just wanted to stop in for a minute to introduce myself. I am Michelle from northeast TN. I've really been enjoying reading through the forum for the past few days. :) I share my home with my husband, daughter, 1 Miniature Schnauzer, and 4 Shelties. I currently do not have any Guinea Pigs, but that will be changing soon.

I was involved with animal rescue for about 10+yrs. I still foster once in a great while, but I stopped back in 2006 when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter. Even though I may foster every once in awhile, I'm extremely particular about what I allow in. We did a lot of small animal rescue before, which allowed us the opportunity to live with Guinea Pigs, Hamsters, Gerbils, Rats, Ferrets, Chinchillas, Rabbits, etc.

Now that my daughter is almost 2, she's still demanding, but not as much as she was before. I have worked with her with our dogs from the time that she was just able to reach out and touch them. I am adamant about her respecting them. My parents were that way with me when I was a little girl, and I'm that way with her.

I told my husband that I have missed having Guinea Pigs, and that I thought it was time to bring them in. Since I'm a stay-at-home Mom, and have the time to devote, he didn't mind. I'm currently working on one of the large enclosures (C&C). I already have a 4'H X 3'W 3 story cage that is made out of the grids/cubes and that is fully lined, but I'm thinking about taking it apart and setting it up differently. I like the open top ones, and I'd prefer it to be up off of the ground. Just so you know, since I do have dogs, the cage will be set up in our "home office". It's a room that we use frequently, but the dogs and our daughter can not get in there unless one of us is in there. Also, the dogs are used to small animals, from the years of rescue. They show very little interest in them, and that's usually only when they first come in. I'm trying to get everything set back up, since I haven't had small animals in 2yrs. The good thing is that I'm not a novice, so I know how to do it....it's just getting it done. :)

The reason I said that it wouldn't be long before we'll have Guinea Pigs again is because I had let it be known that I would consider bringing them in again for fostering. I was just told this morning of a lady who has 2 that her daughter's have gotten bored with (typical) and she's wanting "rid" of them with their cage. I'm going to call her in a little while and find out the details. I had told everyone to give me time to get everything set back up, but from what I was told, if we didn't find someone that could take them immediately, she was going to just advertise "Free Guinea Pigs" and let them go to the first person that contacted her. Needless to say, I'm going to call her, get the details, and, if necessary, I have an extra cage they can stay in until the big one is ready. I seriously doubt, based on what I heard, that they're in a good enclosure. I'm expecting them to be in nothing bigger than what any of us would call a travel cage/litter box cage.

Anyway, I'm sorry for rambling! I am so excited to have found you all. This site is extremely informative and I look forward to getting to know everyone! :)

~Michelle~

Last edited:

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad to hear you are getting back in to fostering. Guinea Pigs need more people to open their homes to needy pigs.

Good For You and welcome to GPC

MKruger

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the nice welcome! :)

Well, they're here. It's sad. They're names are Sadie and Yoshi. From what I was told they are about 8 - 10 months old. The lady said that they are extremely attached to one another. If you hold one, the other starts crying out. I haven't bothered them since I got them here. I figured I would give them a night to adjust to the new surroundings. I was right on what I figured with their cage. These poor babies had no house or anything to hide in. The cage (fully set up) fit in the front part of the trunk of my car, if that gives you an idea on how tiny. :-( It only measures 24"L X 11.5"W. Also, she had never fed them hay at all. She said that she saw that places sold it, but she didn't think they needed it. I did give them some hay, and put them in their new cage, but that's all I've done. They've been stressed enough, just being moved. I want to expand the size of this one, but the way it is now is much much bigger than what they had. I'm still trying to learn the forum well, but I think this is ok. Here are pictures. Now, if you see something I need to add, please let me know, because I'm going to town tomorrow and am going to pick up some more things for them.
Sadie (L) and Yoshi (R)

The cage that they've lived in for the past 6 months...

The cage that they're in now. I do plan to buy 9 more cubes to expand this one. Of course, that means buying more coroplast as well. I am thinking about leaving the design the way it is right now, and when I get the additional cubes, then widen the cage, and possibly make it only 2 levels instead of 3. Not sure yet.

Hope you all enjoyed the pictures. :)

~Michelle~

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
Aww, they are adorable. Yoshi looks like my Fuzz. I have pics of him in my gallery if you want to see. The only thing I see is the little Edible House that they have destroyed is not good for piggies. They are very high in sugar I believe. I would definitely take that out. They've probably ate it so much because they've never had hay. That's so sad. At least they are in a better place now that knows how to care for them. Even if it it is temporary. Good Luck with them.

MKruger

Cavy Slave
Ok, this is strange. I could have sworn I replied, but it's not showing, so I guess I didn't. Hmmm. Oh well. :)

Consider it done. I had put it in the large cage with them last night so that they would have something familiar in there with them, but it's out now. :)

I went to town and bought them some fresh fruits and vegetables. They devoured them! I figured I gave them too much, and that they wouldn't eat it all, but when I checked, almost every bit of it was gone. I guess they were extremely happy to finally have good food. At least, they're eating good. :D I really hope that Ly&Pigs reads this, because, if so, here is a huge "thank you" for the nutritional chart and info. I printed it out and took it with me when I went to the store.

They enjoyed some Romaine lettuce, green pepper, cucumber, cilantro, carrots, strawberries, a small amount of broccoli, and a small piece of apple. I read on the chart, that broccoli and apples were ok, occasionally, so I figured that they would be fine in a very small amount, especially since these poor piggies weren't on a good diet at all. They won't get anymore of those two this week, though. They'll have celery mixed in tonight. I am going to try to go to the natural food store tonight to see what organic veggies they have available. They're building an Earthfare store here, so I can't wait for it to open. :)

I am so happy that they're doing this well!

~Michelle~

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for rescuing these poor babies, Michelle. My latest guy was in the same situation, but he's not so keen on the veggies.

Keep doing great, and they'll love you for it. Although their cage is a little narrow. I think it's supposed to be 3x2, right? Since they like to run laps and all.

Anyway, great job, and thank you so much for helping them.

MKruger

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much! I do agree that it is narrow. That's why I explained in the previous messages that would be expanding it. I have to buy the supplies, though.:) Of course, even a tall narrow cage is much bigger than what they were in. ;) :D

~Michelle~

MKruger

Cavy Slave
For some reason, I didn't have an edit option on this one, but I forgot something. Since it's usually recommended to have a wider one, are you thinking it would be best to rebuild that one (like I was originally thinking)....taking the top level off and making it 2 levels? That way it will widen the bottom and give an upper level for the kitchen. At least until I can get the supplies? :) Thanks!!

~Michelle~

Harrys Dad

Cavy Slave
Hello Michelle,

I would make it a 2 level 2 x 4 so they have plenty of room to run and play. You could leave it a 3 level and still make it a 2 x 4. Are you sure they are the same sex? Good for you for saving them!

MKruger

Cavy Slave
Great. Thank you! :) Yes, they're both female. :)

~Michelle~

MKruger

Cavy Slave
By the way, I'm sorry for signing my name at the bottom of my posts. I just read the thread about signatures. I didn't realize that you couldn't put your name. I am on another group that requires it. I guess it's just habit now. I'll stop from doing that on here, though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.