Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weird Breathing

dixiedoo4736

Cavy Slave
I was holding my guinea pig Ginger this morning and noticed that she is wheezing while breathing. It sounds almost like she has liquid in her lungs. It also seems as though it is slighty laborous breathing. She has no runny nose or no secretions out of her eyes however last night while she was eating her veggies she coughed a couple of times. I am going to check up and see how she is in the morning and if there is no progress then off to the vet for a check-up we go...any suggestions as to what might be the problem?

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
URI or pneumonia probably. Vet treatment is needed ASAP.

gpigluver14

Cavy Slave
Ditto. Sounds exactly like a URI. Try to get her to the vet as soon as you can.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You might want to get her checked out for heart issues. Heart pigs frequently have fluid build up in their lungs.

linda_chicha

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig, Wilbur has been in that situation a few times. I went to a normal vet and he said it wasn't URI but gave me antibiotic, just in case. It kept happening every 3 months but it usually went away after a week and he would breath normally again.

A few months ago, he started choking on his food so I get him to an exotic vet. She put him under to do an endoscopy and found there are mucus at the back of his throat and his throat was inflammed. The diagnosis is that he got inflammed tonsil or laryngitis (I think). She gave me metacam and bactrim combination to try. The breathing came back again last month and we did a trial on metacam but he didn't respond so back to bactrim and he responded.

The vet didn't think it was heart issue related (in my Wilbur's case, anyway). Basically we're still trying to find out what actually trigger it because I have tried many different bedding, veggies, position of the cage.

Good luck with your piggie.

dixiedoo4736

Cavy Slave
That sounds like what Ginger has...the night before I noticed her breathing she coughed on her veggies. Her breathing seems alot worse today though so I'm going to give the vet a call.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.