Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

I hate doctors!

krystalmarie21

Cavy Slave
So the only vet we could get an appointment with this weekend was at banfield at petsmart. I know I know I know. So my husband went Since I overslept. We found out its a girl! So they wanted to run all these tests(ringworm, skin scrape, fungual and some other ones) and they wanted $210. So my husband did the ringworm since we can get it. The vet doesn't think its mites. So they sold us $25 shampoo.Its called F3/S medically formulated shampoo. Aids in relief of strong fungal and bacterial infections. It also says on the bottle its for dogs and cats only but the vet said it was ok. Should I got get the meds for mites? what do you think i should do?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
What are the ingredients in the shampoo? I wouldn't use it personally because if it's for cats and dogs, there's a high chance it could contain pyrethrins which are toxic if used on guinea pigs.

krystalmarie21

Cavy Slave
Chlorhexidine Gluconate 2% w/w, Ketaconazole 1% ,2% Acetic Acid in a shampoo base

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
It's safe. It's to treat fungus with. Similar to Nizoral which is much cheaper and just as good.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
It looked like a sow to me in your pic.

Ringworm and mites tests are often inconclusive.

I'd get ivermectin and treat her for mites. Then treat for fungus.

krystalmarie21

Cavy Slave
I thought it looked like a girl too. He also that the guinea pig was a little under weight 0.70 I think in ounces but he said he thinks she is 6 to 8 months old. I thought she was 8 weeks. She is so small to me what do you guys think? thanks for the addvice on the shampoo i feel safer to use it. Going to the feed store tomorrow to get the ivermetcin. Whats the best kind to get? Is it hard to give a guinea pig a shot? Thanks so much.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
Going to the feed store tomorrow to get the ivermetcin. Whats the best kind to get? Is it hard to give a guinea pig a shot?

I believe any cattle ivermetcin is good. I don't think there is a specific brand. You don't give them a shot though. You put on the amount needed behind their ears were there is no fur.

Last edited:

krystalmarie21

Cavy Slave
I believe any cattle ivermetcin is good. I don't think there is a specific brand. You don't give them a shot though. You put on the amount needed behind their ears were there is no fur.

One feed store has a horse kind.Not getting the horse kind. Found another place that has the cattle kind. Behind the ears? Even though she has spots all over her? Is this the topcial kind? Or should i get the oral one. Sorry don't know much about it.

krystalmarie21

Cavy Slave
But why put it behind the ears?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Because that is where they have that bald spot. It goes directly into their bloodstream that way and absorbs better. This is if you get the topical form though.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Because that is where pigs have natural bald spots and the medication gets absorbed into the skin and their system much easier than sticking it on a spot full of hair where it can get wiped off or not absorbed at all. The medication will get into their entire system and cure the mites.

Edit: Rabbits and I were posting at the same time!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.