Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition What is the amount of veggies piggies should have?

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
How much should a pig have of veggies per day?
I give Coco about 3/4 or 1/2 cup of veggies per day to Coco.
Is this enough? Too much?
Thanks very much.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Not enough. They need at least a 1 cup of leafy greens (Lettuce, Endive, etc.) and then preferably 1-2 servings of other veggies such as Bell Pepper or Tomato in addition to the 1 cup of leafy greens.

ronald305

Cavy Slave
My Lucie does not want to eat any veggies I give her except for carrots,pellets and timothy hay, But Sophie will eat her veggies infact she is the one that cryies for food, Im very concerned about Lucie, Today she will not eat lettuces or broccoli, so far not sure about the rest of the food I have for them yet, is there cause for alarm.

ronald305

Cavy Slave
one more question may ask what size cup,a big cup or a small cup or a measuring cup for feeding guinea pigs (cavies)

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
The guideline is a measuring cup per pig, daily, though more is fine providing the diet is varied.

I don't quite understand your first question; does Lucie normally eat lettuce and brocolli? Because from your post it sounds like she doesn't enjoy any veggies except for carrots.

ronald305

Cavy Slave
OK thanks for the info on the cup question --and no she use to eat eveything I gave her, I just notice broccoli in the bag with the lettuce and she loves it, do think she just not in the mood for the other veggies

CasaDe

Cavy Slave
I am sorry to ask this - I know this thread is a few days old:

Penny eats only veggies - hay, lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, celery. We provide her with fresh pellets every day but she doesn't eat them. Is that okay?

Today she probably ate a cup and a half of romaine lettuce, five grape tomatoes, and lots of hay. Is that too much?

CasaDe

Cavy Slave
You should only feed 1-2 grape tomatoes a day.
Read the stickies at the top of this forum and you'll learn a lot. You should also print out this chart and reference it daily. https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...cavys-diet-read-me-nutrition-charts-info.html

Sorry! I have been studying that chart. I am having trouble translating it into real-life - I'm not a terribly visual person and it's kind of challenging to me.

You folks must get awfully tired of threads about all the beginner stuff that's been posted 1,000 times! I'm just afraid I'll make some terrible mistake and make Penny sick or something.

Thanks for your help!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
A cup and a half of lettuce seems like an awful lot. About how many leaves is that per day or per feeding?

Carrots need to be limited to one small/medium baby carrot per day.

The only time I get frustrated answering a diet related question is when someone asks if something can be fed that is already on the charts.

Also it's ok to reply to a thread that is a few days old. It's when they get to be about 2 months old or older that we'd prefer you make a new one as the old one is considered a dead thread and members can get impacted for resurrecting dead threads.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.