Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Excited-Getting new rats at the weekend

vics2004

Cavy Slave
My husband and I must have been destined to get more rats. A couple of weeks ago I was emailing the lady who runs the rescue we got one of our bunnies from, giving them an update etc, when I mentioned that we had taken on my friends rats.

She emailed me back, and she has been dealing with a lady who had had a couple of accidental rat litters. They are now old enough to be adopted out, so we are going on Saturday to get a pair of males (I already have two 1 yr old males). Think my husband would like more, but he only wants one cage, and our cage only fits a max of 4 (Freddy 2). Luckily we have a spare cage, we can use for the quarentine period, but I am just so excited.

Rattie Mom

Cavy Slave
Awe! You'll have to be sure to share pics! :)

Have you introduced ratties before? If not, I might suggest you take them VERY slowly. Males, especially in the highly testosterone phase, can get pretty agressive towards newbies. They can consider the new males a threat and could injure and even kill a baby. I'm not saying it to scare you....but to make sure you are aware.

Some ratties just love new friends and immediately get along just fine. But boys can be a bit more difficult to introduce. Just take it very slowly and in a neutral area. I would definitely NOT put the babies in the older males cage, until you are absolutely sure they are ready.

I've gone through a lot of intros over the years. It seems the easiest for me, when it's time to move them in together, that they move into a cage that's new to everyone. If you don't have that option, and are moving the babies in with the older males.....you might want to take it very very slowly.

If you aren't familiar with this site, there are lots of articles and old forum posts about intros. Hopefully some other helpful stuff too.

(broken link removed)

Best wishes with your new little ones. Aren't rats fun? :)

vics2004

Cavy Slave
Thanks, really hoping it will work out. Will keep the other two even if it doesn't, but feel sorry for them, as I know they like bigger groups.

Rattie Mom

Cavy Slave
Hopefully it will all work out and all 4 boys will be snuggling in a rat pile soon. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.