Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Grease Gland

soccergrl849

Cavy Slave
Both my adult boys have a little issue. When I adopted them i was instructed to keep the grease gland clean and i could do so with dawn dish soap. i have done that religously whenever they get gross but lately i have noticed my boys tucking their buts underneath them and wiping it along the ground. I Can't tell what they are wiping exactly, whether it is the grease gland or something else. Any ideas as to what this may mean?
Thanks

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
Guinea Lynx :: Grooming

THere's a section near the middle about grease glands. I hope it answers your question. ;)

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
They are marking their territory. That's where their scent glands are.

soccergrl849

Cavy Slave
So now, the updated news is that Oscar who is a white/creme colored somewhat long haired pig has a in issue involving his grease gland area. I gave him a bath today as his grease gland was dirty and his hair was grungy. Hours after the bath I noticed his behind was wet already! The hair is yellow and I can't clean his grease gland very well because he hates being in the water. I am wondering if he might have an infection, I have looked online but had no luck as to what an infection might look like. If anyone has any advice as to what this may mean or what I should do I would greatly appreciate it.
We do have a guinea pig vet clinic near by and it is open tomorrow if I need to take him in.
Thank you all so much, I really appreciate all the information this site provides!

Toadies

Cavy Slave
As far as cleaning his gland without water, I put a drop or two of grapeseed oil on the spot, message it in for a minute and use a flea comb to comb out the gunk and then I "buff their butts." We just have a grand time, but it keeps them clean, as they don't like water either. Grapeseed oil is light, no odor and doesn't leave a film on the skin. Great stuff!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.