Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Ivermectin?

trojanman10101

Cavy Slave
Hi I have a quick question? My guinea pig has been itching himself and has open sores. Would it hurt to use ivermectin as a precaution without taking my guinea to the vet.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
It definitely sounds like your pig has mites if he's scratching himself to the point of injury. Absolutely start him on a proper Ivec schedule as soon as possible.

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
I've also heard of wrapping pigs if they are scratching so much they are getting sores, to prevent further self injury (while being treated of course).

trojanman10101

Cavy Slave
No he doesn't look anything like that pig. He has his whole fur coat in tact except above his legs where has sores. They aren't really open sores they are like scabs and every week I put antibacterial cream on his cuts and they look better one week but some what worse another.

trojanman10101

Cavy Slave
Also where is the best place to buy ivermectin?

trojanman10101

Cavy Slave
No he doesn't look anything like that pig. He has his whole fur coat in tact except above his legs where has sores. They aren't really open sores they are like scabs and every week I put antibacterial cream on his cuts and they look better one week but some what worse another.
I thought you were talking about the pig with mites on the lynx website but no they are two diff. pigs.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
You can buy Ivec at most feed stores. They usually have it behind the counter so you will need to ask for it. You will also need a 1cc/ml syringe to draw it out and to properly dose. Feedstores also sell needled syringes so you will need to ask for one as well although rarely do the feed stores sell the small type of syringes you need. If you know someone who take insulin you may be able to get a small syringe from them.

At this point though I think you simply need to take the poor animal to the vet. This has gone on long enough without proper treatment.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Ditto. Find a knowledgable vet and take in all your pigs.

gooberific

Cavy Slave
If you have more than one pig living together, treat all the pigs for mites -- not just the one showing symptoms. And take them to the vet!

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
We get our ivermectin pour-on at our local TSC (Tractor Supply Company). You can also find it a Jeffers Livestock (online).

It's called Iver-On Pour On for cattle. You don't need to inject it. It's a simple topical treatment that you rub in behind the ear.

Here is the link for the weight chart and instructions for use: Iver-On Pour On.

If you're not willing to take him to the vet for treatment, please get the pour-on and start treating immediately. Normal treatment is every 7-10 days for 3-weeks. It could take up to 5 treatments for relief in the case of a stubborn flare-up.

It sounds like you need to get your pig to a good cavy saavy vet. He has gone too long without attention and treatment. His symptoms are pretty severe.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.