Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Help with top

dpc317

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone. I've had Brad for about 3 years now and I got some extra room in my room so I decided to build him a new cage. I actually got all of it done, its 2x5. I have two cats so I need to build a roof for the cage. Not because the cats will attack him, but because he actually scares the cats. So I was wondering the best way to put together a roof for the cage. Obviously one that is sturdy and easy to open up.

I also had a question about inroducing him too a new guinea, since he is alone. We got him when he was about 1 from a friend of the family. She said she attempted too get him a buddy but Brad just bullied and picked on him. Is this because Brad is just a bully or was there maybe something he didnt like about the other guinea pig. I'd love to get him another guy to play with. Anyway thanks for all answers

Dylan

dpc317

Cavy Slave
I also have one more question...
does it take time for guinea pigs to get use to a new cage. I believe his old cage was the only cage he's every known. Now that he is in the new big one he just seems a little different. Is it possible that he is intimadated by the new openness of his new cage. His old cage wasn't tiny, but it wasn't as big as it is now by far.

GuineaAddict

Cavy Slave
I also have one more question...
does it take time for guinea pigs to get use to a new cage. I believe his old cage was the only cage he's every known. Now that he is in the new big one he just seems a little different. Is it possible that he is intimadated by the new openness of his new cage. His old cage wasn't tiny, but it wasn't as big as it is now by far.

It does take them time to get used to a new cage. I remember when I switched my guinea from her old cage to her new bigger cage...she sat in the corner for the rest of that day. Give him some hidey places. If you don't have igloos or anything like that you could always cut up some old boxes and make them into little hidey houses. Just make sure the door is big enough. :)

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
He'll love the cage, but pigs need some time to get used to new environments.

As for a friend, try getting him a baby - he will probably get along better with a younger pig than another adult male.

And to build a sturdy top on your cage, you can use cube grids and make them sturdy with zip ties.

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
And to build a sturdy top on your cage, you can use cube grids and make them sturdy with zip ties.

That's what I did. I also have a 20# cat that likes to lay on top of the cage, so just for a little extra support, I used two pieces of PVC pipe just a smudge longer then the grid height. That way the top and bottom grids put pressure on the PVC pipe and hold it in place.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.