Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

color of urine

kimmie11

Cavy Slave
I changed the type of bedding for my piggie from critter care to puppie pads and paper towels. I have noticed his urine is an orange color, is that normal?Could carrots cause it? He seems to feel good, eats and drinks just fine...pooping the same amount.
Thank you for any comments.
Kimmie

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Urine color can be due to things pigs are given to eat and also other things. Sometimes urine turns a dark orangy rust color when oxygen hits it and oxidizes it.

Puppy pads and paper towels aren't a very good bedding. Be sure your pig doesn't eat the puppy pads as they can cause bowel obstruction.

How many carrots are you feeding per day?

kimmie11

Cavy Slave
I was giving Wyatt a 1/4 of a regular size carrot, every other day and sometimes every day. Mostly he eats, pellets, hay, lettuce, green peppers, an occasional slice of apple. He drinks a lot of water so I didn't think he could have a uti. The reason I changed bedding was the mess the crittercare stuff made and washing fleece in the machine grossed the family out. I hadn't thought about him eating the puppy pad...and I thought I had hit gold there. Do you have any other ideas?
Got any other ideas?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Read the bedding section for ideas on other beddings to try.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.