Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

change in behavior

lala252

Cavy Slave
Hi,
I've made an appointment with my vet, but they are so busy right now, I can't see them until early next week. My guinea pig has generally been happy and interactive, but yesterday all of a sudden she became very nervous and jumpy and generally stuck to one corner of her cage. She was continuously sniffing the air and making a tiny squeaking sound. She still loves to eat, but I basically had to put the food right in front of her. I took her out of her cage a few times, and she calmed right down, and seemed just like her old self again, but when I put her back in her cage, she seems nervous. There is a lot of construction noise outside of my apartment at the moment, and I thought that this might be stressing her out. Her eyes are still bright, and like I said, she is back to her old self if I'm holding her, so I'm hoping it's just stress. Or could it be something in her cage is making her sick? Consequently, I had earlier this week been looking into finding her a companion guinea pig, and actually found one which I had previously arranged to adopt today before this behavior change happened. I've had her for about two months, and have wanted to get a second guinea pig pretty much from the start. Is it possible she's lonely, and needs companionship? I'm worried she is sick as well, and I know it's a general rule to keep new guinea pigs seperated, but I don't want my new piggie to get sick too!

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
If you do proper quarantine, the new pig wont get sick. Keep them in seperate rooms. Change clothing and wash hands before moving on to the next pig.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I think a vet visit is in order. Guinea pigs hide illnesses all to well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.