Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Unexpected baby pigs

t&ds mum

Cavy Slave
I recently got a new guinea pig and didn't realise she was already pregnant , sounds very naive but I thought she was just getting fat, anyway she had 4 babies tonight!
I have another female pig who I have separated for the time being but I don't really know how to deal with the babies at all. I have tried looking it up but having trouble finding detailed information about exactly how to care for them.
Will they rely on milk from mum or do I need to provide solid food straight away and will they eat and drink on their own or do I have to use a dropper or something?
How soon can I let my other pig back into the environment?
I'm sure these questions have been asked before but I would appreciate any responses.

naturegal592

Cavy Slave
You can put your other pig back, they didn't need to be separated. The babies will drink milk from mom but can start eating food now too. You need to baby proof the cage because a baby can go through the cubes, make the sides about 10" high with coroplast or cardboard. You can start handling them around day two, they need to start getting used to people. You also need to sex them soon, males need to be separated at 21 days. You also need to post pictures for our benefit! ;)
I hope this helps some.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
The pups will start eating hay, pellets and veggies usually within a day or two of being born so make sure you provide them. They will also drink their mothers milk. The momma sow will wean them when she's ready. It's ok for the other sow to be with her as she will act like an auntie to the pups.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
Mom will appreciate having someone to herd her babies around, lick their butts, and give her a break. How would you feel if you had quadruplets and your sister was living with you and could help you out?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.