PDA

View Full Version : Question about mattress pads under fleece....

Karsluma
05-25-08, 07:32 am
If I get a regular bed mattress pad - and I want to cut it to fit my cage, will I have to sew the sides where I cut (will it fall apart in the wash?).

Paula
05-25-08, 02:36 pm
I'm not sure I understand what you mean, exactly, but I haven't ever had any problem with anything falling apart in the washing machine. I've had pieces get stuck on the agitator and tear a bit but never anything like falling to pieces.

Karsluma
05-25-08, 02:40 pm
If I cut a mattress pad to the size of my cage, won't the edges be "open"? I just bought one for $7,so I guess I should just try it out.

Harrys Dad
05-25-08, 03:42 pm
if your putting fleece over the top of the mattress pads then make the fleece bigger and fold it over the ends on all sides. I just made some bedding with fleece and mattress pads and folded fleece over and sewed the ends

Karsluma
05-25-08, 04:48 pm
I was trying to avoid the sewing since I do not own a machine - so I'm wondering how the pad will do in the wash w/o the sides being sewn back together.

Paula
05-25-08, 11:08 pm
The mattress pads I use don't have any kind of filling or anything - is that what you're talking about? If that is the case I imagine cutting into it would likely cause it to come out in the washing machine. But a regular mattress pad shouldn't be a problem I don't think.

Karsluma
05-25-08, 11:10 pm
Yea - that's what I meant - I will try it out tomorrow - thanks for the help :)

naturegal592
05-26-08, 07:34 am
I haven't had any trouble with the filling coming out in the wash. All of the fibers are tangled together so well it would be like a cotton ball in the wash. Wash away.