Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

The plan

Fishguy2727

Cavy Slave
Planning on setting up the cage soon and this is the plan. Coroplast as big as possible, 3' wide and as close to 7' as long as possible (may need to rearrange room to get all 7' feet out of it). It will be at least 4' long though. The cage will sit under my finch cage so the guinea pig cage will catch all the timothy hay the finches throw out. The finch cage is 21"x~30". I will take the wheels off the finch cage and just sit it in the g-pig cage. The finch cage has a built in shelf about 6-7" off the ground when the wheels are off and I am going to use this as a second level for the guinea pigs. I will cover it with something (otherwise it would be bare large-spaced wires) and build a little step.

I found a source for the Coroplast. When I walked in and asked about the sheets his response was 'rabbit or guinea pig? I have sold about 50 of these things for that, apparently we are on some website. I'd like to thank someone for that'.

Today I will be looking for some grids, preferably just white.

I have not decided on what bedding to use. I work at a small mom and pop pet shop and get a great discount so stuff like Cell-Sorb and Carefresh (we carry both) is a lot cheaper for me than for others, I understand how expensive it is. But from what people on here have said I may try the timothy on pine method since I will probably just get a huge bale of timothy from the local feed store anyways. I could get huge things of pine from the feed store or my work.

What do you guys think?

ArtisticRainey

Cavy Slave
The cage will sit under my finch cage so the guinea pig cage will catch all the timothy hay the finches throw out. The finch cage is 21"x~30". I will take the wheels off the finch cage and just sit it in the g-pig cage.

Would there be a problem if the finches started throwing other stuff out? I'm not expert, but I imagine finch droppings wouldn't medically be good for guinea pigs. Then again, I have no idea if it would even be possible for the droppings to get out.

The finch cage has a built in shelf about 6-7" off the ground when the wheels are off and I am going to use this as a second level for the guinea pigs. I will cover it with something (otherwise it would be bare large-spaced wires) and build a little step.

That's a good idea. Make sure you build little walls around the edges. I know it's not that high up, but still, better to be save than sorry...

Sounds like it'll be a great cage. Nice and big. How many pigs?

naturegal592

Cavy Slave
It is not a good idea to have your guinea pigs under birds, if any seeds get in with your pigs it can be a choking hazard, also bird poo in the cage can't be great either. The cage sounds good except for the pine make sure it is kiln dried. There are some really good bedding threads/stickys here about it. Happy piggin'.

Fishguy2727

Cavy Slave
One pair of guinea pigs.

I have been watching what makes it to the floor for a few weeks. No poop, just timothy and a little food. Mine get pellets (like all birds should, much better than the best seed mixes). And even if they did get seed they are finches so the seeds would be way too small to be a choking hazard.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.