PDA

View Full Version : Missing Toenail?

iluvrita
05-19-08, 07:08 pm
My pig Rita was bought from a pet store with wire cages,and on her back foot there is no middle toenail,there is skin all over it and fur ontop so I don't know if she was born with it or if it got ripped of in the cage,but only being there for three weeks? Has this ever happend to any of you?

Ziggy&Herald
05-20-08, 08:29 am
I'm not positive about pigs but, when a dog rips it's toenail off, it will still leave the quick. You can actually see the quick where the nail was, just with no nail covering it. This allows the nail to grow back. But, with pigs being so much smaller the quick is also. It could have torn the quick off as well, but that would be seriously painful and would have bled profusely. I think I would go with it was maybe genetic. If only for piece of mind.

Haley0489
05-20-08, 10:07 am
My dog ripped her toenail out once, and it grew back. Then she ripped another one out years later, and it never came back. It's possible this happened to her during life or because of genetics. I doubt there's any way to really know for sure. If it's not bothering her though, I wouldn't worry too much about it. :)

PrincessAngel
05-20-08, 02:07 pm
My guinea pig Java broke her toenail off. The whole thing came off and it was bleeding alot. A few months later the whole nail grew back but it doesn't look as nice as it had before.

iluvrita
05-20-08, 02:45 pm
ok thanks guys!! I'm impressed with all your piggy expirence (sp?)!