Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pricey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iluvrita

Cavy Slave
I heard it would only take under 35 bucks to make a cage big enough for two pigs,and somewere even less but the 2x4 cage is 64! After our current pig (anyone want to guess her name?) passes we are adopting a pair and her cage isn't near the minimum size for a pig:weepy: and I cant scrape out 64,big mula problems...so am I looking at the wrong thing or is everbody telling lies???

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
One pack of grids, which held 16 grids cost me $24, I got 2 packs. Corflute cost me about $15, with left overs. So $63. That made two 2x4s with plenty of corflute left over. If I were to make one 2x4, it would cost me half that - $31.50. If you have money problems (and cant afford a big cage that is like several times cheaper then a a small petstore cage), then I highly suggest you dont adopt any more pigs. Pigs cost alot of money, you have to be prepared for unexpected vet bills likely to go into the hundreds, thousands even. Just in a year I spend easily a thousand and a half dollars on veggies. And that is on VEGGIES ALONE.

iluvrita

Cavy Slave
Oh! So I can buy grids from target and then pick up the bottom,but does the site sell a kit for two,or one pricey one?

Edit- I only have one pig right now-and we buy day old things for her at the store-but she definatly gets her veggies!

Last edited:

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
I didnt say you were not giving her veggies, I was outlining how expensive it is to PROPERLY look after a guinea pig - using the cost of veggies as an example. Perhaps you need another example, hay costs me $5 a bag, and lasts me just over a week. About $260 a year. Pellets cost me about $22, and last me nearly 2 months when mixed with a lower quality (but still ok) pellet that costs me about $11 a bag. About $198 a year. So when I add veggies, pellets and hay together I get about $2000. Then there is vet bills, in the past 5 months (since the start of the year), I have had to fork out about $1200. Then there is the ongoing costs of shavings for their kitchens, accessories etc. If you have money problems how are you going to afford that?

Justin

Cavy Slave
I cant scrape out 64
C&C cage is cheap. But there are other expenses. Vet and Bedding can be especially "pricey". I recommend you to plan ahead for other expenses as well.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I can understand wanting to save money but you need to consider that, beyond the price of cage and set-up, there are going to be even more costs. Some of them you may not be able to foresee such as vet bills.

I can afford to care for my animals properly but I chose to "go green" with their cages. I used recycled materials and got creative. The large cages I've built for myself and others, cost less then $10.00 each. In some cases building the cages was basically free. Between using old political signs for the coroplast and recycled/leftover wire shelving that I either picked up off the side of the street or bought for a song at my local builder's recycling center I saved a bundle AND saved the Earth by keeping useful items from ending up in a landfill.

However I cannot feed my animals recycled food. They need fresh veggies, high quality pellets and hay. That, along with bedding and accessory costs, starts adding up. If you are having a hard time scraping up $64 dollars now you need to realized that these animals can easily cost you that much each month.

Think hard and long about whether or not your finances can afford to care properly for another sentient being for the rest of it's life. The economy is pretty bad right now and it's unlikely to get better soon. If you get a pet remember it's a lifetime commitment, not a "right now" type of thing. I'm certain you would feel awful if you had to give up your pets because you could not afford them. It's a bad situation for you and for the animals. If you question at all your ability to afford them then it would be better to not get a pet at all.

iluvrita

Cavy Slave
I didnt say you were not giving her veggies, I was outlining how expensive it is to PROPERLY look after a guinea pig - using the cost of veggies as an example. Perhaps you need another example, hay costs me $5 a bag, and lasts me just over a week. About $260 a year. Pellets cost me about $22, and last me nearly 2 months when mixed with a lower quality (but still ok) pellet that costs me about $11 a bag. About $198 a year. So when I add veggies, pellets and hay together I get about $2000. Then there is vet bills, in the past 5 months (since the start of the year), I have had to fork out about $1200. Then there is the ongoing costs of shavings for their kitchens, accessories etc. If you have money problems how are you going to afford that?
That is hurtful and offensive pigsforlife. If you have anything else to say about my family and my pigs I can assure you that it will be reported.

Justin

Cavy Slave
That is hurtful and offensive pigsforlife.
Maybe so. But it's better to be offensive/bold/direct/truthful/caring enough to mention the apparent problem, rather than ignoring it.

I spend a lot less than pigsforlife. I buy a bale of hay at $20 which lasts months. I feed less pellet and more hay. Also I buy bulk vegetable in cheaper price, since human consume a lot too. Still, it cost over $100 without vet.

iluvrita

Cavy Slave
I am deeply disgusted. All of you have no right to tell me how well I am,or should be taking care of my Cavy. Pigsforlife was rude and I am not going to let it pass by as ok because it was the "right thing". I am brought up not to stoop down to lower levels,but those higher. I think I am being calm about this and will keep it so. Pigsforlife,let me ask you this. Could you pay for a full college education,raising taxes,the upkeep of a family,house improvments and basicly everything to do with family and ownership? And if you say somthing like how are you going to afford that I think you will find yourself the victim of a rare but deadly wrath.

iluvrita

Cavy Slave
oh and I don't know if I said this,but maybe I can't scrape up 64 because I am a younger child being supported by parents. Yes,I lied about my age. No one has a right to know it if I don't personaly know them

cookie_gal

Cavy Slave
Sorry you feel you have been attacked. I think they were trying to prepare you.

I don't for one minute think you are bad etc. I mean you are trying to find the best way to care for pigs and I agree it often appears expensive. I think some members try to score points on how much they spend. As long as you are caring for your piggies it doesn't matter how much something costs. Shop around for grids - you'll have plenty of time. Just make sure you have the financial backing of your parents just in case you need the money for vet bills etc. Shop around for veggies too - you are doping the right thing, 'day old' veggies are totally fine, it is often just a legal requirement about use-by dates etc and as long as they are still okay i.e. no wilting/mould they are perfectly fine.

There are many ways to keep the costs down, good luck hunting for cheap materials!

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I read her initial post as wondering about the price of Sue's Cage Kits as compared to reading about the cost of making your own.

I think because she's a kid she missed the big picture. The prices on this site to BUY a kit are higher than making on your own because there is VALUE in having all the work, cutting, scoring, shopping, etc. done for you rather than spending LESS and doing all the shopping, cutting, etc. yourself.

Can make your own for the lower prices you've read.

That said, you still need to be able to afford such an expense. Honestly, if the $30 difference is too much for you, then I also agree, you shouldn't be considering getting guinea pigs.

I tell potential adopters to plan on spending around $150 to get started. $50 adoption fee for a pair plus cage and accessories. That is minimum.

iluvrita, you need to email me with your correct age right now at [email protected] if you want to continue posting on this forum.

iluvrita

Cavy Slave
oh......they come made........sorry everybody I was foolish,but I am still hurt by some of your posts. I will reply with my age to you Teresa,but please don't let anybody know I am just sick of being ignored for it.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm closing this thread for what should be obvious reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.