Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

My poor piggies...

dextersmycutegp

Cavy Slave
The last couple of months have really been hard on the pigs. I've ended up seperating Smores (my oldest at 6) from the other pigs because she and Dexter were sharing a UTI back and forth. They've both been on Baytril for the last twoish weeks and they seem to be better, with no more blood in their urine.
The real problem is now someone, I think it might be Holly but I have no proof, has bright red something (maybe blood since it fades to rusty red as it dries) coming out, every once in a while. I saw it once a month ago maybe and I figured it was just Dexter with his infection. I saw it again last night and now I'm not so sure.
They aren't acting any different from normal, very bouncy and "please pet me...now!" Holly does have a pregnant sort of shape that just appeared in the last month or two, but there is no way she could be preggers since Dexter is neutered (2 years ago) and he's the only boy she's come in contact with in the last two and a half years. She hasn't put on any weight, she's just huge around the belly.
On the other end of the spectrum, Dexter has lost 6 ounces or so over the last 3 months but I've just been attributing that to him being so sick that whole time.
I'm not positive it's not Midnight but I'm figuring it's not, becuase she's been putting on wieght and nothing about her has changed at all.
Smores is seperated from them so it's not her.

Any ideas(what it might be/who)?
I'm planning on calling the vet on Monday...but I'd like to be knowledgeable if/when I take them in. Thanks!

dextersmycutegp

Cavy Slave
No one has any ideas?
I called the vet and they advised me to see if I could figure out which one it is since the bleeding is happening so sporadically and since I seem to be single handedly funding their retirements with all the money I've spent at the vet in recent months. lol

Another question (I thought I'd just keep them all in one thread to be nice): Smores has been squeaking a lot when she poops. I felt a couple to see if they were hard or something but they aren't.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
Squeaking while pooping is often caused by a UTI or stones. Is anyone else doing it?

I would keep a "food diary" and see what foods seem to produce the bleeding. You might not be able to figure out who it is from the diary, but you can modify their diet to try and avoid it. For instance, if it always happens after carrots, you could avoid carrots and see how well that works out.

And you can always do the old "hold the pig on the white towel until they pee" thing.

dextersmycutegp

Cavy Slave
No one else is doing the squeaking. She did had an x-ray a month or two ago to check for stones and she didn't have any at that time. And she's just coming off medicine for a UTI...could she still have it?

That's a good idea. Next time I see it I will consider what they've been eating recently.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.