PDA

View Full Version : extra toes...

Rogue128
05-17-08, 12:23 pm
My Nazz is about 5 1/2 months and has extra toes on her back feet. They haven't been a problem but I've notice that the one is always under her foot. Do you think that is uncomforable to her to be walking on her toe? I mean, when I pick her up its like stuck umder her foot. She walks fine and plays and all. My friend told me to just tie a string around the extra toes, but I'm a little afraid I might hurt her. Help.

CF#5
05-17-08, 01:26 pm
I wouldn't tie anything. Are you sure it's a toe and not spurs on the bottom of the feet? Can you post a picture?

Toadies
05-17-08, 01:37 pm
Since it's always under her foot, it sounds like it might not be attached to a joint, like canine dew claws are sometimes just loose. Perhaps, if that's the case and it causes her problems, the vet could remove it. The procedure itself isn't bad, but your piggy might not agree.

catzeye21138
05-17-08, 07:27 pm
It depends on how it is attached. If it is only attached by a small amount of string, I heard if you take a piece of cotton and tie at the thin part, the little toe will soon die and the pig won't be hurt in the slightest.

Or to be safe, get it removed by a vet. It'll just cost a bit more.

I think since it is under her foot you will eventually want to get it removed.

By the way; it's called Polydactyl

Rogue128
05-18-08, 01:32 pm
It is an extra toe, when I pick her up I just push it to the side so its not sticking to the bottom of her foot. I think I am just going to go to the vet, too afraid to do it myself. Thanks.

daftscotslass
05-18-08, 02:37 pm
It is an extra toe, when I pick her up I just push it to the side so its not sticking to the bottom of her foot. I think I am just going to go to the vet, too afraid to do it myself. Thanks.

This is the best plan.

I think it's crazy for anyone to advise tying it off as nobody here knows if it has bones in it or not.

Alusdra
05-18-08, 04:30 pm
It doesn't matter if it has bones or not! Do NOT tie anything to an animal so tight the tissue dies. Are you seriously suggesting that? No, no NO NO! Regardless of bones, there are nerves in it. It is extremely painful to be subjected to necrosis due to ischemia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ischemia) (lack of blood).

Just... wow... no words.

Very very cruel and inhumane! Do NOT tie anything to your poor poor animals.

Calming down a bit... the vet can tell you if it needs to have anything done to it- if so, the vet can take it off under anesthesia with appropriate post-op pain meds.