Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

How Much Should Female Guinea Pigs Weigh?

Impess82

Cavy Slave
I've been looking at different sites which each have different figures for what female guinea pigs should weigh. One of mine weighs 825g and other 975g. Neither have lost any weight or put any on over the last couple of months. Is this a healthy weight? They are about 10 months old. The lighter one is a peruvian and the other an abysinnian (sp?).

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
They are small, but ok. I have 5 girls. 2 are a year old and weigh between 1kg and 1.1kg, Lily is also a year old and weighs between 900g and 950g. Rosie is 9 months and weighs 1kg. Ella who came to me incredibly sick, and had to be handfeed aggressively for a week before she would eat by herself is still recovering and pathetically small for her age. She is 9 weeks old now and only just topped the 400g mark.

Impess82

Cavy Slave
Thank you for that. It's put my mind at rest. My friend's guinea pigs seem huge in comparison to mine and I was beginning to wonder if there was something wrong.

erikahand83

Cavy Slave
Since were on the topic anyways, I was also wondering if the weight of my male pigs is ok. They are both around 2 1/2years old, Midnight weighs 1360grams and Ralphy weighs 1130grams. Does that sound right. The numbers seem big to me but I think thats because its measured in grams.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Again, sounds fine to me. Males are generally bigger then females.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.