Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Finicky cavy

C

cookiedoe

Finicky cavy

Any one out there having or had problems with a finicky eater? We've had our cavy for almost 7 months now and never had an eating "problem" until recently. The last bag of pellet food did not have those little cheerios looking pieces in it and he was eating fine. He's had them before and still ate everything. The bag of food we now got included the "cheerios" looking pieces again but now THAT'S ALL HE EATS OUT OF IT! He's been chewing on the regular pellets and spiting them back out. Everything else he eats as usual... lettuce, other veggies and fruits including newspaper. How do I break him out of this and get him to go back to his normal eating habits? We've just been removing the cheerios pieces hoping that eventually he'll go back.

Attachments

bucky .jpg
J

janiexo

bad choice

mixes are a bad choice for piggies. you should give them only pellets. the thing with mixes is they tend to be unhealty, and furthermore the pig will pick out and eat only what he likes, thus not getting all the nutrients that he/she needs. Hopefully providing plain pellets will do the trick.

J

JJThinker

Re: Bad choice

I know when I bought my first bag of food for my piggy Lucy it had "things" in them. God knows what the heck they were but she seemed to like them. I did eventually switch over to Oxbow timothy hay pellets. She didn't like them at first; she wanted the mixed stuff back. But she eventually starting eat as normal. I wouldn't worry about it she will start eating the regular pellets any day now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.