Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing - URI?

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
I've had my GPs for 1½ months and ever since I've got them they've had the occasional sneeze, Milo sneezes more so than the other two. I took them to the vet for other reasons and mentioned the sneezing and was told they looked fine and unless they're eyes started to discharge it was probably just the pollen [when I got them it was severe pollen season]...but they're still sneezing. I'm planning on taking them in again and basically forcing him to do a true-blue thorough examination, because I'd really like to know for sure if these are just sneeze prone pigs or sick pigs. Like I said, I've had them for a while, with no other symptoms, but it worries me endlessly and I don't want to be the cause of their death.

Here's the problem: I don't have a true "cavy savvy" vet within hours of here. I am an hour away from 70601's zip code if you wish to search, (my true zip is far too specific to post online). I've tried everything from GuineaLynx vet links, to doing searches on yahoo.

My uncle is a traditional vet, and has seen my guinea pigs as well as others in the past. I always print out important papers from GuineaLynx to have as reference, and he has a friend in Texas that is an exotics vet that he calls upon when advice is needed.

Is there anything not mentioned on GuineaLynx that I should know or take with me? I want to be sure I'm getting a real conclusion as to whether or not these sneezes are innocent or sickly. And if they do turn out to be just sneezes...how will I be able to tell in the future if they DO get sick? More symptoms? (I do monitor weight, food and water intake.)

And yes, I do realize URI's are nothing to toy with and if my piggers are in fact ill, I'm very lucky to still have them. I need no posts to make me realize this, especially with the recent posts concerning URI's.

Animal Lover

Cavy Slave
Honestly, I would try to go to a true cavy vet. Since it has to deal with an animal's well being, then I say better safe than sorry.

Pumpkin_RIP

Cavy Slave
When my piggie had a URI, my vet, just to make sure her assumptions were correct, put her ear up against her rib cage, and you could ear my piggies breathing. Well, with the breathing there was a strange crackling sound each time she took a breath. The crackly sound is basically the URI. So, you could listen to your piggies breathing also to get a good estimate wether or not it is a URI. Are your piggies active and respond to you well? When my piggie had a URI, she was still very sweet & inquisitive, but not so much as before. She just sat in her cage hunched up in a ball. I hope that helps.

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
So, you could listen to your piggies breathing also to get a good estimate wether or not it is a URI. Are your piggies active and respond to you well? When my piggie had a URI, she was still very sweet & inquisitive, but not so much as before. She just sat in her cage hunched up in a ball. I hope that helps.

I actually haved listen to their breathing, all you hear is the "inhale, exhale" and when they sniff at me you can hear the rapid inhales and long exhale, like a dog. Other than that it seems pretty "normal", but then again, I didn't train in college to be a veterinarian, so I may be missing something they'd spot, ya know?
They do respond well; eat like pigs, popcorn, run laps, wake me up in the morning for food. They generally seem to be very healthy, apart from the sneezing. I've been trying to convince myself for the longest that they just sneeze, but I'd really like to have the medical satisfaction of knowing it's true.

Weatherlight

Cavy Slave
If you look in your phone book, are there any exotics vets listed that you can evaluate? What about if you call around to local vets and ask who they think is good with cavies? How many cavy URIs has your current vet seen and treated before?

I hope consulting with the TX vet is enough to make sure.

ArtisticRainey

Cavy Slave
The only way you'll be sure is by taking them to an exotics vet. All guinea pigs sneeze from time to time. However, if they are ill, clearly it's important to get it sorted. One of my pigs, Heidi, came from a home that never took her to the vet. She developed weak lungs and now has plumonary fibrosis (lung scarring) because she had so many URIs. Her lungs are constantly 'crackling' now though she has no other symptoms as of yet. In the future her breathing will likely become more difficult and I doubt she'll live just as long as she could have had she been properly taken care of as a pup.

Obviously, as you've said, you don't want this to happen to your pigs.

I searched your ZIP and came up with this page: VetUSA: Veterinary Listings for Louisiana - VetWorld Companies

Forgive me if it's not quite right; I don't live in the USA.

Good luck!

Toadies

Cavy Slave
My boys love their hay box and I hear an occasional sneeze, probably from the hay dust. I tend to hear it more as I get closer to the bottom of the box of hay, where all the real fine stuff is. One has had respiratory probs from the start and his eyes don't always have a discharge when he's getting sick, so that's not a 100% reliable indication. Eating, energy and breath sounds are a more reliable indication of their health, as is keeping track of their weight. If you hold them and snuggle them on a daily basis, you are more apt to hear anything out of sorts. I was holding my boy one night and heard a horrible sound in his breathing and we were off to the emergency room ASAP. Yup, it was pneumonia again! We caught it soon enough (it came on in such a short time) and he's fine. But if I hadn't had him on my shoulder, next to my ear, I might not have heard the breath sounds. Daily handling, hugs and kisses is a real good way to keep track of how they're doing.

Artistic - I have this piggy on an albuterol inhaler for that very reason. I got a chamber from Aerokat in Canada (aerokat.com). It has really helped keep the problems to a minimum.

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
I searched your ZIP and came up with this page: VetUSA: Veterinary Listings for Louisiana - VetWorld Companies

Forgive me if it's not quite right; I don't live in the USA.

I found one! It's an hour away, but it's in a town that we frequent! I'm going to give them a call and see if they truly know what they're talking about!
*Downtown Animal Hospital
EMail Downtown Animal Hospital
Tel: 318-439-2321
Information: Veterinary care provided for dogs, cats, other small animals, and pet birds. We also offer pet grooming, boarding, and 24 hour emergency service to our clients.We carry pet supplies as well as Purina ProPlan and Science Diet Healthblend and Prescription diets.

Toadies, I also notice it when they're rooting around in their bedding, have just gotten fresh hay, or I've freshened the CareFresh bedding. I know all of these things have considerable amounts of dust, it chokes me up from time to time, but again, better safe than sorry!

Thanks for all the help guys! I'll keep you posted :D

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Pigs do sneeze when they get irritants in their noses. Normal sneezing does happen. If it's when they are getting fresh hay or bedding changes then that is most likely normal sneezing due to higher dust levels.

With a URI the pig can sneeze on and off all day and night. Kind of like the way a human sneezes when we have a cold or a case of the flu. How many times a day would you say your pig is sneezing?

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
With a URI the pig can sneeze on and off all day and night. Kind of like the way a human sneezes when we have a cold or a case of the flu. How many times a day would you say your pig is sneezing?

With Thor and Norbert, I'd say 1-3 times a day, and some days more or not at all. Milo on the other hand, has always been quite sneezey. He probably sneezes easily 5+ times a day; some days not as much, sometimes more. I've read they can sneeze due to allergens and common dust like we do, but his is so often, which makes me think there may be more to it.

I do notice Norbert and Thor sneeze a bit more when they're resting, which might be because their faces are closer to the bedding and dust? I am looking into switch to fleece due to costs, and I'm also hoping it may help their noses.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
How is everything else with the pigs? Any weight loss? Are their appetites good, do they pee and poo fine? Is there any nose discharge, watery eyes? Does their breathing seem normal and not labored? Is there any clicking type noise when they breathe?

If the answer to the above is all no then I'd say there is no URI going on. It can be common for a pig to sneeze up to 5 times per day. A pig with a URI can sneeze many times a day every day until they are treated with AB's and the URI goes away. There are pigs who can develop allergies, although it's rare, it happens.

I am not a vet and not telling you not to take your pig(s) to the vet if you think he/they need it. But I'd still call that one you found and ask lots of questions and make sure you always have a copy of the safe and dangerous meds list with you when you go to any vet.

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
How is everything else with the pigs? Any weight loss? Are their appetites good, do they pee and poo fine? Is there any nose discharge, watery eyes? Does their breathing seem normal and not labored? Is there any clicking type noise when they breathe?

They've actually been gaining weight since I've got them, they're about 17 weeks old. They eat like the pigs that they are, and have actually be requesting more food recently. They pee and poo like there's no tomorrow and their nose and eyes are clean and bright. They're breathing seems normal, no strange clicks or crackles.

The lack of other symptoms is what has put me off from going to the vet for this long. The posts I've read about pigs with URI's always mention something more than just a sneeze. Usually lethargy, eye discharge, lack of appetite/hydration.

I always come up with my own conclusion that they aren't sick, but then I repeat the cycle of worrying and convincing, worrying and convincing. I've ordered a pet carrier, so once that comes in and I have a way to transport them, they'll be going to the vet. Just to be sure.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
One more question Haley. Is there any nasal discharge that is discolored or goopy looking?

If not then I'd say that none of your pigs have a URI at this point.

Sneezing can be an early symptom unaccompanied by any other symptom but it usually would be accompanied by nasal discharge (snotty/runny nose) and/or crusties on/around the nose.

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
Nope, no discolored goop or discharge.
Milo has actually sneezed on me once, there was nothing that I could see, it was a very light mist of ... nothing, lol.

They do have a discolored stripe running down their noses, but I think that may be where hay dust collects? Since the ridge is kind of like a canal. It's not crusty, and I usually just gently rub it off on cleaning day.

If you see what I mean?

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
My Ziggy came home to me with an URI. The day after coming home, his eyes began crusting and I could see distinct green crusties around his nose. I never heard any crackling in his breathing, but I can't say I was all that thorough with him being my first pig. I had done research on pigs before getting him, so I new definitely that these were the signs of an URI. I took him to the clinic I work at and he was put on Bactrim for 10 days. Even while on the ABs, his eyes grew worse before clearing and was eventually at the point of his eyes crusting shut completely. After about 3 days of ABs he was starting to recover. I thought he was just really tame when I first got him, but after he recovered, he actually runs more then any of my pigs.I guess what I'm getting at is if there are no other signs, I wouldn't worry too much about an URI but I would still take him in to check all other possibilities. Good Luck.

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
Well, I was feeling a bit better about this until tonight.

Milo was out for floor time and sneezed 10+ times, probably closer to 20, in only an hour. If he does have allergies opposed to a URI is there any thing I can do to treat him?

I'll definitely not be putting off a vet visit. 10+ times in an hour seems so excessive. *worries*

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.