Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n going Vegan!

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
After reading into it, and knowing that we are eating flesh and blood, I cannot stand to eat another morsel of meat. Totally getting off, I'm glad we have salads at school! I hate what happens to chickens, cows, ect when they kill them. I have a magazine, can't find it now, but the cover had a calf and a mother cow on it and the baby said "We're family too!" The whole magazine was about going vegan, and even sold like 10 different T-Shirts. I thought it was silly at first, but I really see where everyone is coming from when they talk about going vegan.

megspigs

Cavy Slave
I have been vegan for a while now. It is the best thing I ever did. I don't have to feel guilty anymore when I look at animals. If you want any cool links let me know I know a lot of cool places to get vegan stuff and awsome vegan message boards with tons of info on getting enough vitamins and staying healthy.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
That would be great if you can give me those links! Thanks!

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Are you going vegetarian, or vegan? I believe that there is a difference. Vegans refuse to eat anything produced by an animal(eggs, milk, butter, cheese, most dairy products) and also refuses to wear anything produced by an animal(wool, fur, leather, silk). Your post just sounded like you were going vegetarian, so I was curious. Either way, that's a very admirable task! Right now, my parents won't let me become a vegetarian, and my brother and dad are both hunters, so they have no idea why I think like this, but once I can, I am planning on going veggie.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Ack, yah I meant vegetarian, whenever I read the title and it was too late to change it, I was mad!! Lol, I am going vegetarian. So far, I ate a salad and cereal today lol but I accidently had a raviolli piece of my friends... grr. I'm getting off meat gradually, I guess... I'm never going to wear leather or fur though...

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
I refuse to wear Leather, fur, and I don't own anything silk(too exspensive). I also don't like wool because it's so itchy sometimes, so I normally only where cotton. I agree with trying to wean yourself off of meat, because I personally don't have enough will power to just flat out stop eating it. My entire family is like, carnivorous.

megspigs

Cavy Slave
It is good to go slow so that you don't get too overwhelmed. And never ever feel like if you give in and eat meat that means you have to give up trying to be veg. Do the best you can day by day.

megspigs

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

another

heabrook

Cavy Slave
I don't agree with doing it slowly. If you get tempted to eat meat, just remind yourself of all the animals that are being slaughtered while you are eating your meal. I bet you wouldn't want to trade places with them, would you? Think of the chickens that are being crammed in their cages without hardly any room to move around. Think of the cows that are being injected with hormones and steroids so that they can produce more meat.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for the links meg! I'm going to read them. I've heard that a vegetarian saves 90 lives per year, which is amazing.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
heabrook, that is what I was thinking at lunch when my friend offered me her Chicken sandwich- the sandwich that I had almost everyday and I absolutely love. But now I think of it as nothing, and trying not to be tempted to eat it.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
heabrook, some people just don't have the will power to just break off their meat supply in a snap. My friend, who is a vegetarian, used to have a meal with meat every day, and she was practically addicted to it. She had to cut out one meat at a time to get it to work, constantly reminding herself of the suffering animals. For some people, it just is not possible.

heabrook

Cavy Slave
Doc, you are right about the fact that people can be addicted to meat. I just think that maybe if they reminded themselves why they shouldn't eat meat, then it would make them not want to eat it. People can make the choice. I don't believe that it is not possible for some people. I think that some people just choose not to try very hard. I think that it is hard for some people to stop thinking about animals as a source of food. They are taught that it is right to eat animals and that it is not immoral to do so.

All you have to do is put your mind to it.. we have power over our minds, that is all we need. Most people lack self control - true... but you just have to teach yourself control. It is a very good lesson to learn.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
OK, I am definately going to agree with both sides of the argument...
I have decided I am going Vegetarian, but half Vegan.. I will only eat/drink eggs and milk, and try to only eat the eggs from my uncle, who raises chickens... He has a huge pen for them to go in and out of, with lots of nesting areas, does NOT kill them for any reason whatsoever, and they have 21 acres to roam if they feel like it, but they only stay in about 1-2 acres of the whole thing. I am never going to wear anything produced from an animal and never have, so I'm staying on cotton stuff, haha. I hate leather as it is, and fur coats too. So... can anyone else fill me in about the Vegan, I researched a little bit but is there any really big sacrifices besides eggs and milk(Which I cannot go off of)?? I'm so happy, I've been meat free for 2 days! (Besides a small bite of piece of ravioli, I hope that doesn't count..)

heabrook

Cavy Slave
Ruby - being vegan means that you do not consume or wear any type of animal product. Some vegans actually don't even eat honey.

I'm glad that you are sticking with it, good job. :)

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
I know what Vegan means. It's just that, I don't want to eat anything or wear anything produced by an animal, but I love eggs and milk so much I can't give them up- otherwise I am not going to wear or eat anything else. No ice cream, butter, fur, leather, wool, ect. I've been sticking with being Vegetarian for 5 days now- except today I had spagetti sause with meat in it, and a tiny bite of a ravioli piece- otherwise, I'm meat free. My mom tonight is making a full meal or meat. Yuck. I asked for a salad.

chrishall1979

Cavy Slave
OK well assuming you once loved meat and felt bad for the poor animals dieing and now decided to stop which is great. Why cant you stop eating milk and cheese which you also love because those poor critters suffer just as much? If that made any sense? It did to me but i wrote it, and am kinda sleepy at 5am.

Chris

Either way good job, just trying to understand your logic.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Just as a side note, you're going to want to start eating food other than salads. I don't mean to be rude or anything. Oh, and there are plenty of soy milk and cheese products out there if you want to try them. Good job.

Mim&Monty

Cavy Slave
chrishall1979 said:
OK well assuming you once loved meat and felt bad for the poor animals dieing and now decided to stop which is great. Why cant you stop eating milk and cheese which you also love because those poor critters suffer just as much? If that made any sense?
I've been vegetarian for years but am not yet vegan largely because it's harder. It's relatively easy to be a vegetarian these days compared with, say, ten years ago, but especially if living in a small place it's harder to find interesting vegan foods and yes we could cook it all from scratch but that's just one more difficulty. Also, a vegan diet does require more effort to ensure that it's properly balanced. It gets a lot easier over time, but at first it can seem rather daunting. I'm a "semi-vegan" in that I have reduced the dairy content of my diet substantially and do pay scrupulous attention to free-range status etc. (although that's basically a vegetarian issue) but I have yet to succeed in total exclusion of animal products.

I think it's worth attempting gradual reduction on this one, as it gives you a chance to learn more about nutrition and recipes without scaring yourself by leaping in the dark. I've known people make underinformed attempts that ended in illness and failure.

That's not to say that veganism is impossible, obviously, and I'm perhaps not the best person to comment as I have something of a history of eating problems: top of my reasons for not being vegan is currently My Mother Would Worry Too Much. Once you're established in a balanced vegan diet it'll probably be the healthiest you've ever eaten - over-reliance on dairy products is unhealthy anyway - but it does take thought and Planning. Currently I'm investigating the issues and learning vegan recipes that I actually like, and I'm cutting out wool and silk as well as leather because that's something I can do with less risk but which is also valuable. If you're not ready for veganism there are other areas of your life where you can improve your animal-friendliness (clothes, toiletries, etc.) and it also helps increase general exposure to and awareness of issues involved, which in turn makes veganism ultimately easier if you choose it later, as it's become an integral part of your life.

When I become vegan it will be a natural progression, but it's one I'm not ready for yet. Flagellating over it is counterproductive and only stops me eating.

And turning vegetarian is hard enough as it is... good luck...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.