Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggressive behavior in new C&C?

Smiles

Cavy Slave
Hi,
I am a new piggie owner. We just adopted two males who have lived together for a while. The previous owner says they are about 3.5 months old. We made them a new C&C cage tonight and put them in and they seem to be more aggressive and trying to bite each other. We separated them at first (for about 30 minutes) and then put them back in the cage with a divider. Both of them chewed at the divider and acted fine with each other so we opened one end of it. They can now get to each other and are exploring, but still seem to be exhibiting some aggressive behavior. Has all the change been just too much for them? Should I leave them alone?

Thanks for your help.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
What you are going through is very normal. They are re-establishing dominance in their new cage. It's best to leave them alone and let them work out who's going to be the boss in the new cage. Unless there is bloodshed, there's no reason to separate.

Smiles

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the reassurance and help. I will watch them to make sure they do not draw blood and just let them work it out.

Thanks again.

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
This happened to me too!
I just built my C&C over the weekend and my three boars had previously lived in a small pet store cage. It baffled my dad, but I already knew that they were bickering over who'd be the dominant one. :rolleyes: They're still rumbling a lot, but for the most part I've think they've got it out of their system. I also added 15+ minutes to their to wear out some of that extra energy! lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.