Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

In hutch during warm weather - advice needed!

Char-x

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I'm so stressed out right now :mad: I HATE the summer because my mum always insists the pigs MUST go outside or they will die of heatstroke in my room. Granted my room does get hot in the summer, and outside in the shade is cooler but I get so stressed out thinking about if they will get ill etc

Now she said we should put them onto shredded paper instead of woodhshavings (they are kept on fleece while inside), I dont know what to think about that right now, is that even appropriate? She said she knows other owners do it, but that doesnt mean its right.

This is just oputside duriong the day not at night but in the mid of summer she always insists they stay out over night aswell as our house is very very hot (we do not have air con automatically in the UK).

I'm pretty p****d off right now to be honest, I've got alot on my mind right now and shes just gone and added the fact the pigs have to go outside to the list. This is why I DREAD summer. >(

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Do you have a fan in your room? They could die of heatstroke outside just as easy especially if they are in an enclosed wooden hutch. Outside they can also be stolen and the cage could be broken into by animals.

Char-x

Cavy Slave
I have got a desk fan and a big rotating one but mum refuses to leave them on all day, she said they dont need to go out 24/7 yet but just while we are out and the windows need to be shut. =[

ArtisticRainey

Cavy Slave
Could you try to convince her to let you use frozen water bottles to cool then instead of putting them outside? I mean, I imagine your freezer is on 24/7 anyway, so you could cool the pigs down without any extra expense. Maybe point her to the 'help my pigs are being attacked' thread so she can read the dangers?

Or your outside habitat could magically catch fire...bwahahaha...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.