PDA

View Full Version : Another Impaction Question

Paula
05-04-08, 06:51 pm
I've been reading that it's a good idea to get male pigs in the habit of cleaning out their bottoms so that when/if they ever have problems with impaction they're already used to the routine.

I have 6 boys and we got through the first cleaning today without incident, but my question is - should I be doing this for the girls too? I read on Guinea Lynx that while impaction is much more common in older boys it's not unheard of in younger males and females.

I'm not overly anxious to stick more q-tips up more guinea pig bums but if it's something I need to do I'll just do it for everyone.

Also, what is the recommended frequency for cleaning the anal sacs of the younger boys? They are all between 1 year and 1 1/2 years and thus far have had no problems with impaction.

bamby71994
05-05-08, 03:32 pm
I was wondering if you only have to do that with boys or girls too?

rabbitsncavyluv
05-05-08, 04:45 pm
Females do not get impacted but it isn't a bad idea to check their genitals and nipples over routinely, and make sure there is no crust or discharge.

Paula
05-05-08, 09:39 pm
Well according to GL females can get impacted, though it is rare. In any event, I do check their genitals, and all other parts of the pigs when I weigh them every week. I just want to know if I should be cleaning their bottoms like the boys. And I want to know if I should clean the boys weekly, monthly, or what?

Ly&Pigs
05-05-08, 09:46 pm
You can check them for issues every 2-3 weeks and clean when necessary.

linda_chicha
05-05-08, 10:07 pm
I used to check the sac every 2 weeks. Since I changed to fleece, I didn't do it as often (3-4 weeks) because there is less debris and shaving stuck in there.

Paula
05-06-08, 09:13 am
Cool - thanks to everyone for their input. I think I'll do the hind end cleaning when I do their nails, which is every 2-3 weeks.

I do use fleece, but they have a small kitchen area that I used to fill with aspen but I've switched entirely to CareFresh, so I think we're set.

Thanks again to everyone.