Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Making a meal out of cardboard boxes

P

pregasaurus

Making a meal out of cardboard boxes

Upon occasion I put a nice sized box in their cage to act as a temporary hiding place. However they always seem to "eat" it. I don't mean tear peices off and leave them lying around. No they eat it! Can this harm them? Or should I not be too concerned about it.

2steps

Re: Making a meal out of cardboard boxes

my pigs do this too, even though they have hay and pellets there. I only use plain brown cardboard incase the ink used on the coloured one is posionious

Attachments

my pudgy.jpg
J

janiexo

same here.

they eat it. they eat newspaper, they eat cardboard. sometimes i give them rolls from toilet paper or paper towels, or shoe boxes. they love playing.
they should also have something wooden to chew on to keep their teath trim.:D

P

pregasaurus

Re: same here.

Ya they have a 2x2 peice of pine in there that they munch on too. They love that thing. I have it wedged into the corner so it is kinda like a perch. They climb up there and munch away. But still, i think they prefer cardboard to food. :)

J

janiexo

yea

haha, i have to agree, cardboard is definatly #1 choice here.:evil:

T

tinahagar

i'm tina, and i'm new here, my guinea pigs eat my post! ha ha! i thought mine were just mad! they eat my wall paper too. they have plenty of food and stuff to chew, but they prefer paper!
tina x
[email protected]

sasha

Cavy Slave

mine managed to get a 2 inch long piece of silver tape once, and the nearest small animal vet is about 2 hours away, and it was like 3 am. I just about had a heart attack, so if she is ONLY eating cardboard, I am thrilled!

Auzziefreak

Cavy Slave

Guinea pigs seem to test everything...and i guess they like the taste!!! Maybe you need more 'chewable' stuff in your cage? like some untreated wooded blocks, or some more hay and veggies and stuff..i know some pigs do that out of boredom...could this be the case?

pennick

Cavy Slave

I dont think they do this out of boredom. I just think it something piggies do. mine always chews on things especially if its new. They use their mouth like we use our hands. I just think its their nature to constantly chew. Its their way of keeping busy. No matter how much time I may spend with them or all the new things I may give them to keep them from being bored they still end up chewing on something.

Auzziefreak

Cavy Slave

Thats very true..i just thought that if there may have been a lack in chew things, thatmight be why they keep doing it..but i'm sure your right on this one

tashagurl

Cavy Slave

My pigs always chew on cardboard. They love chewing on it. My pigs definatly have enough to chew, so I think they just enjoy chewing and eating the carrdboard.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave

I usually have to replace the cardboard hidey houses every week due to them peeing on them and chewing them up.

Auzziefreak

Cavy Slave

lol..they are re-modelling

sasha

Cavy Slave

At the time she ate the tape, she lived a room that was completely guinea pig proof b/c the outlets were installed way too high for her to reach, and the cords could be taped up, so as long as it was clean she had the run of the room, so she was getting hours of floor time each day, with plenty of hay and veggies. She also tries to chew on anything put in front of her, I think she really does do a "taste test" and something about the tape must have been appealing.....maybe the glue tasted good or something. Anyway these days I make sure nothing comes within range of her cage/teeth as if she were hannibal lecter, so hopefully no more heart attacks.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.