Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Absolutly neccesary?

chexxy

Cavy Slave
Is 1 hour of floor time neccesary? Because it takes me a while to set u floor time, but my 2 pigs just sit there. They never run or play, only in there cage. So could I just do it once a week? They will chew on the bars to get back in the cage. They have a 2x5 with a 1x3 section coming off of it. So pigloos are in one play, kitchen in another, and they have 2x4 of running/lap space. I understand in a petstore cage, but wiht all that room how come they need more? They hate floortime! And it takes up alot of my time. Please help!

furryfotografia

Cavy Slave
If you could I'd try to when you can.
Is it possible to create a safe area where you can keep them in a room while you get things done that you need to (clean,etc)?

Try to add special enrichment to get them interested in utilizing the area, maybe keep "floor time only" toys.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
I would recommend it. It is not only excercise, but a time to explore. They can get bored in the same environment all of the time. The area does not even have to be that big. When Coco is out of his petstore cage, he is in a 2x4.
To encourage play, make obstacles for them. Like hide veggies under things. It may not make them run around like crazy, but it is better than them doing nothing.

MissGinger

Cavy Slave
If you do it often they won't be scared & they will explore.

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
My pigs just sat there when I started out with floor time, but now I have Piggie Nascar in my spare bedroom. They run laps around the room at full speed and get into all sorts of mischief.

I have to admit, I don't do it every day, but I do try and get them out of their cage at least 4-5 times a week, more if I can.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
My pigs just sat there when I started out with floor time, but now I have Piggie Nascar in my spare bedroom. They run laps around the room at full speed and get into all sorts of mischief.

I have to admit, I don't do it every day, but I do try and get them out of their cage at least 4-5 times a week, more if I can.

The same thing happened with Coco. He was very scared to move around in it, but after a week or so, when he was in it for the day, he just started doing laps. Now he is not shy about playing in the cage at all.

I don't get Coco out every day, but on almost every weekday, he goes out. Sometimes he goes out on weekend, but not as much.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.