Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

I'm taking Spike to the vet for the first time on Friday...

Karsluma

Cavy Slave
what should I expect? - this is just a check-up, as we will have had him for one week. I was kind of hoping to have a buddy for him by then so I could take them both, but no luck so far.

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
If you got him from a pet store you should ask the vet to check for URI's, mites and lice, as they are all very common in pet store bought piggies. The vet will probably check his feet and nails, teeth, ears and skin. So basically, just a routine look-over.

mommyoffive

Cavy Slave
Ask for husbandry advise and see what your vet offers such as bedding you should use, pellets, hay and veggies you should or should not be giving.

Karsluma

Cavy Slave
Clean bill of health for both piggies -this is an "exotic animal" vet and he seemed to know a lot about piggies...

But I asked him to check for lice and mites and to make sure they were both males - definitely :)

Their skin looked perfect, and he said it's his opinion that all piggies carry a few lice - and he could comb in several different spots and not get any, and they could still have a few.......... but the key was a Vit C enriched diet and good care, and they will be fine.

He listened to their heart/lungs and said their eyes and nose were clear and sounded GREAT.

I was just wondering about the lice thing...........ack makes my head itch just thinking about it although I do know it's species specific!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.