PDA

View Full Version : AAHA, Anyone have any experience?

CavySpirit
04-29-08, 06:14 pm
I'm just curious. Has anyone had any experience using the AAHA with their vet?

AAHA Helping Pets (http://www.aahahelpingpets.org/)

American Animal Hospital Association (http://www.aahanet.org/)

Alusdra
04-30-08, 08:34 pm
Well I do know that AAHA hospitals are held to a higher standard than normal practices. I haven't had experience with the AAHA fund specifically, but I have heard of some people that similar funds have helped at local hospitals. Probably most vets will try to set up something similar to help out owners in need. But they try not to broadcast it too much. Vets are generally suckers and bleeding hearts, but they don't want to go about asking to get scammed. Heh.

Some places will do a if-you-surrender-your-animal-someone-will-take-it-and-pay-for-the-treatment thing, but then you don't get your pet back at the end. That would be tough!

CavySpirit
04-30-08, 08:59 pm
As a rescue, I'd like to know. I did get a call from someone with a very legit story and need.

Ziggy&Herald
05-01-08, 10:05 am
The animal hospital I work for will always work out a payment plan, and in most cases, do it for a reduced fee. Also, if the client is a regular, we always allow them to keep a tab of some sorts. This helps many people in our area. Im not sure about us using the AAHA though.

relay
05-01-08, 10:52 am
When my guinea pig got sick the vet we went helped alot on cost. Abner had kidney stones and their orginal estimate was $1300. We told them we jus counld't afford that. They worked with their supurvisors and such and said they wouldn't go over $500. It was great! Abner got his sugery for $497.60. Sadly he died the next day but the money was well worth it :( I know I really tried to save him. Vet thinks his liver failed

Alusdra
05-01-08, 03:18 pm
Probably as a rescue if you called around and asked vets they might be more willing to negotiate with you for a reduced cost. Or they might be less as then it would be not a one-time thing. Hmm...

Doesn't your regular vet already work with you on rescue pig pricing? If not you might want to bring it up- I think they can put it in as a tax break. Or see if there is another local place that will. But if you do- see if that vet can work with your discount for these people- as an extension of the rescue and charitable works.

AAHA has this booklet thingie about how being charitable doesn't have to sink your business. One of the perks of being a member- they help with financial stuffs. At least so far as I can recall.

CavySpirit
05-01-08, 03:43 pm
Probably as a rescue if you called around and asked vets they might be more willing to negotiate with you for a reduced cost. Or they might be less as then it would be not a one-time thing. Hmm...

You're not getting it. I am not asking for myself. I'm asking if anyone has had any experience with this organization via their vet. If you have, I would appreciate hearing about it. If not, I'm well aware of how some vets will work with those who cannot afford it. I've been doing rescue and working with vets for 10 years now. I'd like to know if anyone has any specific experience with this organization.

Thank you.

Alusdra
05-01-08, 05:04 pm
So, then no- I don't have direct experience. I was just trying to say that this is an extension of how vets will help owners in need. If the hospital is a member of AAHA and accredited etc. then they can apply for the grant. I don't think it's an individual owner that can, though I could be wrong.

I was just saying about the general stuff since you mentioned a specific person who might need help, etc. I'll shut up now...