Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I think our new piggie prefers his little cage....

Karsluma

Cavy Slave
better than the nice big playground I made for him (out of a kiddie swimming pool). He spent all day in his playground - it has food, igloo, tunnel, and a capri sun box that he loves to hide in. Water and hay also - he will NOT drink from that water bottle and he stays IN the igloo all day long - I can peek in on him so I know he's not out and about until I go in and make noise.

So last night, I wanted him bag in his too-small cage mainly to make sure he'd drink water. He lept out of my arms into the cage and was so thrilled to be back in - he made all kinds of happy noises, and ran over and drank and drank and drank - then I felt badly that he was so thirsty.

I have continuously showed him the water in the playground - showed him where it is, and even pressed on it to make water come out on him (just a drop). It's weird.

Maybe he feels safer in the smaller cage :confused:

As for successes - he eats veggies from my hand and is starting to recognize my voice.

He does seem to be pretty inactive during the day and is a total spaz from about 9 - 11pm.

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
Is he your only guinea pig?
Pigs are social creatures, and are usually much more confident and outgoing when they have a friend. It may also depend on how old your little one is.

Karsluma

Cavy Slave
Yes - he's my only one - just got him a week ago. I'm currently looking for a buddy to adopt, but none available around here.

Harrys Dad

Cavy Slave
not sure this will work and I am also new to the Guinea Pig world but can you incorporate his old cage in with the new and see how he does that way?

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Yes - he's my only one - just got him a week ago. I'm currently looking for a buddy to adopt, but none available around here.
Have you checked craigslist and petfinder? They normally have some piggies for adoption.

Karsluma

Cavy Slave
Craigslist has one available, but she's about 30 miles from here and while that doesn't seem far, it is hard to find the time to get there with the 3 kids and evening stuff going on. And I will not go into someone's house alone either. Sooooo.....she did offer to meet me tomorrow morning, but I work.

Petfinder has no single males for adoption.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
It takes piggies some time to get used to the new, bigger spaces. It's because they're prey animals. :)

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
The Humane Society of Missouri takes them in, but they go fast. If the thing with the pig on craigslist doesn't work out I'd call them (both the Maryland Heights and the STL city one) and/or other animal controls and have them put you on a waiting list type thing for if they get another male in. The HSMO does get them in a lot, but they go fast. I haven't seen pigs in other shelters in the area have them on petfinder (they might have them though).

Karsluma

Cavy Slave
Jenni - thanks! Did you know that St. Louis has a guinea pig rescue service? It's called St. Louis Guinea Pig Harbor - I emailed that gal and she has only 2 sets available right now - no single males. HSMO has one female on their website.

I never thought of calling about a waiting list. Good idea!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.