Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Impaction?

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
How many of you have boars, and do y'all clean out their sack thing? How often? Is it really disgusting? We don't have any pigs yet, and are considering maybe only females now.

Thanks for any and all answers.

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
I have three boars and have not had to/needed to clean them out yet. They're only 11 weeks old, but I imagine at some point in time I'll have to, and I'm OK with that.

I found out after getting my boys, girls can spray urine [why? I'm not sure.] That to me, is a much bigger mess to clean and deal with.

Boys all the way. :heart:

edited to add:
Not all males will suffer from impaction, but you may get one who develops it, you may not. Also, I think I read some where that neutered boars rarely have this problem.

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
I have 3 boars as well, and haven't had this problem. As long as your piggy is kept at a healthy weight and not allowed to become fat, you shouldn't have a problem I don't think. They get this from lack of muscle. Just allow them ample room to excercise.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
They don't get it only from lack of muscle, and "making sure they're not fat" doesn't prevent impactions. Of my 3 boars, only one has problems with impaction, and he's the smallest, and thinnest of the 3. (He weighs a little less tan 2 lbs).

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
Sorry, as I said, I haven't had this problem. That was some of the causes I read on impaction. If you don't mind me asking, what were you told the cause was for yours? I would like to know so I can try to prevent it with mine. Again, sorry if I wasn't completely correct.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
There doesn't seem to be any "cause" with Pica's, his just seems to be his body type. He eats the same as everybody else, has the same lodgings, etc. Granted, a grossly obese pig will often have impaction problems, but just being chunky usually doesn't cause it.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You cannot really prevent it. As boars get older, their butt muscles weaken and they cannot bend over as easily to get their special poops or clean themselves. It's a good idea to flip them over once a week and check to make sure they are clean. They tend to drag their butts and can get hay or bedding up there.

Lots of fiber/ hay often helps but some boars just get impacted.

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone for all the helpful information. After reading this, I realized impaction was not what I thought it was. I had gotten some incorrect information from a different site, and now the record has been set straight. :)

Thanks again, everyone. Males are no longer eliminated from the piglet search.

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
I have a recently adopted boar that has impaction issues. I have 7 boars in all. Once a month butt clean outs are recommended. Just take mineral oil and Qtips and gently insert Qtip and make slow, gentle circles. They don't like it, but I'm sure it feels better afterwards. Mostly there will be a little poop residue, sometimes hair, and if you use shavings a little of that. It's not so bad after you've done it a couple of times. I would highly recommend getting someone to hold the boy while you do the cleaning. Good luck.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
Hah, I did once find an entire Oxbow pellet in there! Must have been a boring month for the pigs. Hee.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
How did you guys who have impacted boars first notice they had a problem?

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
With Pica, it was obvious that it was becoming a problem long before it actually was one. I clean all the boys out once a month or so, and everybody else would have some hair, and a little bit of poo. Pica would have 1-2 pellets in there all the time -- not problematic. But it's slowly gotten worse until he's now got big clumps of poo if I don't keep him cleaned out every 2-3 days.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
So even a "normal" boar needs to be cleaned out once a month?

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
I don't think they have to be cleaned out once a month, if they don't have impaction, but people do it as a precautionary.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I think it's a good idea to check boars to see if they may need cleaned out every 2-3 weeks. If they have no issues then they won't need cleaned but at least you are doing routine checks. Sometimes bits of bedding and hair get caught in their anal sacs which has to be uncomfortable.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I flip them over once a week to check. Just glance down there and make sure all looks okay. They drag their butts and just get gunk up there sometimes.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
Oh wow. This is new to me. I don't even know what to look for. Are you looking for lumpiness, irritation...?? And what about a neutered male?

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
My Tribble had impactions when I adopted him. His former mom had got him so used to weekly clean outs, that I can hold him on his back against me and clean him out with my free hand. He just sits there like a little baby. When I clean him out there is quite a bit of mushy poop in there. The next day there is usually a very large and round poop or two in the cage. The mineral oil helps him pass it.

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
My boy has never been impacted, but I do clean out the sack every couple of weeks. It is gross, and very smelly. Be prepared..lol.

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
My boy has never been impacted, but I do clean out the sack every couple of weeks. It is gross, and very smelly. Be prepared..lol.

Oh, lovely. xP

Thank you everyone, and I'll keep checking this thread for new suggestions/comments. Sounds like it's helped a couple other people, which is always good. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.