Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Ivermectin ?

chexxy

Cavy Slave
Is there any way to guess a pigs weight to dose them for ivermectin? Lke an average pig weight? At this point, I dont hvae a scale and this is for a freinds pig. So I cant spend alot on topical treatment. I need to use horse paste. I know its not the best but its die of mites or risk an OD.
Her dad really wont take the piggy to the vet now because they didnt spay and neuter there one boy and one girl cat because my friend thogut they werre so ittle she didnt want to risk, it. So female is oregnant. I said why isnt he neatered, so now they bred she goes "But that is his sister!!!" Oh geez...:rolleyes:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You must dose by weight. Otherwise you will very likely end up giving an overdose. There really is no average pig weight. Most scales are inexpensive and you should have one on hand to weigh your own pigs.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
As always Ly is right - it has to be exact, as there is no pig "average" for weight. I have pigs that range in weight from 1.75 lbs on up to 3.75 so there is quite a range and ivermectin has to be precise.

As for the scale, I got mine on sale at Target for only $15 but I bet you could get one on Craigslist or maybe a garage sale for even less than that.

Are you sure you are dealing with mites? The reason I ask is I just treated my herd for lice (I could see the nasty little bugs crawling on them, so I was sure) with Advantage and the dose on that is much easier to figure out as opposed to ivermectin, in my opinion.

Good luck to you and your friend.

furryfotografia

Cavy Slave
I weighed my pigs on a digital postage scale when I had to treat with ivermectin.
Postal scales with dials are low cost (you can get them at office supply stores)
for anywhere between $8-25 dollars (non-digital).

If you want to purchase online check eBay for a food or postal scale.

chexxy

Cavy Slave
Problem is that its nt my piggy, so buying the treatment is enough, let alone buying a scale for someone else. My mom would Not do that. And even if I saved my money it wouldnt be for another month because I just spent a bunch of money on stuff for my pigs, and we have to spend $75 because both of my neighors ponies need hoof trims, and snce I ride them, we pay for it, its only fair to her. And I jsut had a horseshow. So its not the vest time to add even just $15 onto it. So could I like does him for a baby, and just do a couple cycles of it? If this were my pig he would have seen the vet but he is not and I hinted her giving him to me but she wont.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Do you have a scale for your pigs that you could use for the other pig?

Last edited:

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
Honestly, I would not dose him without weighing. It's too much of a risk. Overdosing will kill the pig, it's simple as that.

chexxy

Cavy Slave
Do you have a scale for your pigs that you could use for the other pig?
No, I dont...I will probaly getr one eventually, but I am worried that my freinds pig will die in the mean time.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
If you have guinea pigs, you should really have a kitchen scale honestly.

You should be weighing your own guinea pigs weekly: Guinea Lynx :: Weigh Weekly!

You can't really guess a guinea pig's weight, and you can under or overdose ivermec.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
And if you underdose it will have no effect whatsoever on the mites.

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
They don't die from mites right away. Is your friends pig showing signs of scabbing and fits? If it's not, then I would personally wait a week or so to be able to scrape up the money to by a kitchen scale. They sell the non-digital ones at wal-mart for like $5-$10 at the most. That would work to get a weight to be able to dose the ivomec. Yes, the pig will suffer for a short while, but it's better then guessing the weight and killing it or underdosing.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
No, I dont...I will probaly getr one eventually, but I am worried that my freinds pig will die in the mean time.

If your friend's pig is so badly affected by the mites that it is going to die soon then I would say it's too far gone for a home treatment anyway. The pig needs a vet.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you think the pig is going to die, then it must be seizing right now from the pain and bleeding from deep scratches. Is that the case? If so, the pig MUST get to a vet right now for pain meds AND must get dosed with ivermectin, right NOW.

chexxy

Cavy Slave
If you think the pig is going to die, then it must be seizing right now from the pain and bleeding from deep scratches. Is that the case? If so, the pig MUST get to a vet right now for pain meds AND must get dosed with ivermectin, right NOW.

He has lost alot of hair. I have not seen him with mites. I saw him a while a go, but he was ok then. If he bwas mine he would be at a vet the second I suspected mites. I have told her get him to the vet NOW. I have been nice about it, nothing. Nasty about it. Well she blocks me out and doesnt listen anyways. Believe me, I like the pig, and I want to help him. But what am I supposed to do? I cant taaje her pig to the vet. Even if the pig is dieing, I am sorry, I cant takew him to the vet. Its her choice. Sure she would let me. But my mom is not about to spend like $100 dollars on somepone elses pig. I cant report her, not that I would anyways. First if all, no one knows enough about pigs to report him, she woud know its me. And second of all, the SPCA doesnt know anything about pigs. I got Chester from the SPCA living in a tiny cage filled with cedar shavings. Like I said, eventually I probaly will get a scale. But I have more important things at this moment, and my mom is no way going to help me out. I need a new bridle, and the farriers coming out tommorow, to trim to ponies hooves. My neighbors ponies. Thts $75 for someone elses anomal, because I ride and train and take care of them anywyas, so no way will my mom lend me money for another pet thats not ours. I guess my question was answered I cnat do anything. Is there any cheap stuff for mites that you pour on, or do you still need weight?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Your mom can't lend you $20 to get a kitchen scale for your own guinea pigs?

The only safe and effective current treatments for mites are ivermectin or Revolution. You need the pig's weight to dose either one.

furryfotografia

Cavy Slave
If your friend is seriously ignoring that fact that their animal needs care and they continued to neglect the animal you really need to call animal care and control. I know that sounds very sad (and I would feel a bit bad for the pig) if your friend cannot afford treatment and medication for the animal they cannot afford to have an animal. Your not honestly helping the pig if your friend isn't properly caring for the animal and you continue to leave it in the situation. I'm sorry to hear how they were keeping the animal at the SPCA, but leaving the animal in a situation where the owner refuses to treat the animal for mites properly or take it to the vet is neglect. Your friend sounds like someone who isn't fit to have pets, I'm sorry. The parents of the household need to be responsible for the animals.

If you cannot get your friend to properly care for the animal please go to Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten. or https://www.pets911.com and try to contact a good shelter and explain the situation.

Last edited:

mommyoffive

Cavy Slave
But I have more important things at this moment

So the pigs life is not important to you? Mites are painful and everyday that goes they just eat a little bit more into your pig...in simple terms.

There is alternatives to not getting a scale. You could always go to a vet and explain your case and ask them if you can use their scale, or find a friend with a people scale and use the internet or some help on here to help you convert lbs to grams or what not.

Or you should call animal control on her. This is animal neglect if she is refusing medical treatemnt for this pig.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Look. This isn't her pig. This is not a case the SPCA is going to do anything about.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
chexxy-
Do you know anyone (friends, family, etc.) who may have had a baby and has a baby scale that you could use? What about anyone with a food or postage scale? Is there a guinea pig (or any animal) rescue nearby that would let you use their scale? Call around to local vets. I'll bet you could find one that wouldn't charge you (or at least, very minimal) to use their scale.

We use the Ivermectin Pour-On. It's very easy and convenient to use because you don't need to mix it with anything. You just draw it straight out of the bottle with a needle-less syringe (it has an open top). Then, you just rub the drop, or two, behind the ear (wearing a rubber glove so the medication doesn't absorb into your own skin).

You still have to have the exact weight of the pig for dosing, though. It can take 3-5 Ivermectin treatments (depending on how bad the infestation is), every 7-10 days apart. You have to weigh the pig before every dose is administered.

We buy ours at our local TSC (Tractor Supply Company). Or, you can get it at Jeffers Livestock online.

Here is a link for the weight/dosage chart: Guinea Lynx -- Topical Ivermectin Treatment

chexxy

Cavy Slave
Look. This isn't her pig. This is not a case the SPCA is going to do anything about.
Thanks! Our SPCA is not going to do anything. I doubt they even know that guinea pigs can have mites. I am going to Blue Seal tommorow so I will get the syringe, and the ivermectrin. I will probaly be back on tommorw asking for dosing help! And should the diluted mix be refrigerated? I planned on dosing out like 3 treatments, but would it last for a month, or do we have to do it buy tube, dilute give buy another tube?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.