Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Runny Nose

Pandora4co

Cavy Slave
For the past week or so I've noticed Piglet has a runny nose. I first noticed it when I was giving him a "nose kiss" (we rub noses through the grids) and he wet sneezed right in my face!:sick:

Since then I've noticed his nose is running and he is constantly wiping it with his paws. He's not been sneezing alot but everynow and then.

I've been monitoring him and he's eating, drinking and pooping all is normal.

Will the runny nose go away on it's own? At what point would a vet visit be necessary?

His cagemate Patches seems to be fine, no runny nose or anything.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
He most likely has a URI and needs a vet ASAP. Runny noses do not go away on their own.

Pandora4co

Cavy Slave
Ok I'll call my vet tommorrow morning.

Pandora4co

Cavy Slave
Re: Runny Nose-Back from Vet Need Advice Please

Ok I just got back from the vet.

He looked at both Patches and Piglet.
He said Piglet "most likely" has a URI but Patches seems fine.
Patches weights in at 2lbs 9oz and Piglet is just barely 2lbs.

I'm embarrased to admit I have no scale but I'm going out TONIGHT to get one to start weighing them both daily now.

My vet did a nose culture which he said the results would come back in 2-3 days but in the mean time gave me some Chloramphenicol to give to Piglet every 12 hours by dropper.

I just want to make sure that this is OK? I've heard horror stories about vets giving pigs bad antibiotics. When I mentioned that certain antibiotics were bad for pigs, right away he said "Yes, they can't have penicillian"

Plus all I have is a dropper - do I just sort of stick it in his mouth and hope he drinks it?

Any advice would be great... this is my first URI that I've had with a pig and I'm nervous.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Yes/No. There are other meds that are bad for them, other than penicillin. Chlor is technically okay but bactrim or baytril is more used for URI. Chlor can be really harsh on their digestive tract.

You probably want to get a probiotic: Guinea Lynx :: What You Need To Know About Antibiotics

And make sure it doesn't affect their appetite.

Did the vet give you a dropper or a syringe?

Pandora4co

Cavy Slave
A syringe, sorry. you pull it back to get the proper amount. I've been looking at the Guinea Lynx page and I didn't see the medicine on the do not give list. I was also looking at the pics on how to give medicine too.

I just hope this all works out.

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
Make sure you finish the full course of antibiotics. Your piggy should start to show signs of recovery in 2-3 days, but if you don't finish the full course it can return, then being harder to treat because the infection grows immunity to the antibiotic. Definately start probiotics with Chlor. Good luck and URI's are relatively easy to treat at home. Also, try and give extra vit. c through veggies. It will help speed up recovery. Good Luck.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.