PDA

View Full Version : Brought home our first guinea 3 days ago! - questions!

Karsluma
04-26-08, 05:14 pm
I think I'm more excited than my kids! He is so gentle and cute. And I think he's getting used to us. I have a few questions........

How do know if he's lonely? We get him out a LOT during the day - give him plenty of time to roam around and get exercise. When he's in his cage, he stays in his log and doesn't come out much. Is he resting?

He also doesn't drink very much water. I add the Vitamin C drops to his kale leaves which he loves, so the water taste isn't altered.

I just don't want a depressed guinea. He is still young (2-3 mos) and came from a group of about 6 others. We don't have a big enough cage for 2.

I wasn't sure where to post my first questions, so if I should post them somewhere else, let me know!

Thanks!

Susan9608
04-26-08, 05:24 pm
Guinea pigs typically do better with a same sex friend of the same species.
They are herd animals and enjoy the company of their own species. Giving them a friend - same sex, of course - of their own kind is the best way to ensure that they aren't lonely.

Of course you'll have to make sure your cage is big enough to accomodate 2 pigs.

If you feed a variety of veggies you'll be able to do away with the vitamin C drops all together. Check out Ly's nutrition charts: http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/22156-everything-you-need-know-about-cavys-diet-read-me-nutrition-charts-info.html on what's best to feed your pig.

Welcome aboard. :)

Ziggy&Herald
04-26-08, 06:39 pm
Welcome, hope youare getting to love your piggie. When I adopted my first piggie I played with him almost every second, but he too stayed in his hidey while in the cage. I adopted two others for cage mates and ever since then he is constantly out running laps and popcorning. A buddy will definately perk your piggy up. No matter how much time you spend with s/he, they still have that time they are alone. I know mine love to snuggle at night. I think it makes them feel safer so they rest better.

Karsluma
04-26-08, 08:10 pm
Thanks for your quick responses - should I worry that he's not drinking very much? In 3 days, he hasn't even drunk 1/4 of the bottle.

Maybe I'll go buy him a friend while my husband is out of town lol

rabbitsncavyluv
04-26-08, 08:59 pm
No. Don't buy. Adopt: Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten. (http://www.petfinder.com)

If your cage isn't big enough for two, it likely isn't even big enough for one. A 2 by 3 C&C is the min. for one or two. Bigger is better though.

babybunny
04-26-08, 10:35 pm
Welcome! I second the adoption motion. :) I made the mistake of buying my first piggie, not knowing that guinea pigs end up in shelters and needed homes. I adopted my second one and am so glad I did. He is the sweetest pig ever! Both my boys have a nice huge cage for them to play in.

Here is the link for the cage infomation: http://www.guineapigcages.com/index.htm

Enjoy your stay with us.

Karsluma
04-27-08, 08:02 am
Thanks - I checked out the humane society and there is a guinea pig rescue here also! Neither have just a single male pig to adopt. I guess that's a good thing. Humane Society had a single female, and the rescue had 2 sets of 2.

I did find one on craigslist. But her emails have been confusing. The picture shows a cute guinea and his cage. I asked for the dimensions of the cage since I am looking for a larger one and she said she has no way to give me that information - she was watching it for a friend, but her friend moved away.

Ziggy&Herald
04-28-08, 01:44 pm
I would keep looking. If she wont tell you cage dimensions which all she has to do is get a tape measure or yard stick, there's probably more she isn't telling you. Keep looking, something will come up, they always do!