Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Freddie is getting neutered

Cosmictadpole

Cavy Slave
As I mentioned in previous post "Piggy Trade" I have a male and female, that I originally thought were both female, and I've been trying to decide how to remedy the situation.

I thought about giving one away and getting the other a same-sex friend, but because they are siblings and seem to really like each other, I've decided to get Freddie neutered. I was told to wait until he was 3-4 months old or 640 grams. He was 643 grams yesterday, so I called today and made the appointment for a week from tomorrow (he gained 40 grams just in the last week!). I'm really nervous about this, but these two are getting really lonely and I think they'll be much happier once they're back together.

The vet said that she uses isoflorene (sp?) gas and will keep him warm with a heating pad during and after the surgery. She'll also give him oxygen afterward to aid in recovery. She said he should be pretty much healed up after a week.

If anybody else has had any experiences with neutering (positive or otherwise) that they'd like to share, I'd like to hear them. And please cross your fingers for Freddie. Thanks!

CF#5
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Cosmictadpole

Cavy Slave
She is an exotics vet and says that she has performed this surgery many times before. I will ask her about the extra stitching and consider waiting until he's bigger. Thanks for the advice!

Cosmictadpole

Cavy Slave
Well, I just re-checked the link about neutering on cavyspirit.com and it said that the guinea pig should be at least 650 grams before neutering. I mis-read it before, and thought that it said 630 grams. Regardless, if I wait until he's at least 650 grams, is that big enough? I see that CF#5 thinks that he should be at least 750 grams. Does anyone else have an opinion or experience regarding minimum age or weight? I just keep reading/hearing different numbers everywhere I look.

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
I would go by what is says on the cavy spirit website just to be on the safe side.
Good luck!

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
We routinely neuter at 620-650 grams, and have yet to have a problem other than your average common aftercare issues (abscesses, mainly).

JanJam

Cavy Slave
I believe as well they need to be kept apart for a while after the operation too, just to make sure the male is infertile. How long that is I'm not sure but it's worth finding out (we've never had a boy piggie ourselves).

Cosmictadpole

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys! Yes, my vet did say that they will have to be apart for a month after the surgery because he could still have viable sperm for that period of time.

cavyinhawaii

Cavy Slave
Flash had no problems at all getting neutered. I did get the pain meds for 4 days after the surgery.

Cosmictadpole

Cavy Slave
Oh, that's good to hear, cavyinhawaii. I will ask about the pain meds.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
The month sounds about right for post-op seperation. Technically, I believe all of the old sperm should be dead at 3 weeks, but you can't be too careful, so the extra week certainly can't hurt.

Make sure you have the cage ready for recovery as well. Bedding on a white towel or white/very light fleece for a few days post-op is a good idea. It will let you see if there is any bleeding or odd discharge from the incision.

Cosmictadpole

Cavy Slave
Good idea, Percy's Mom, I will definitely do that.

Cosmictadpole

Cavy Slave
Well, unbeknownst to Freddie, he's going in tomorrow morning for his neutering operation. He's now 702 grams (gained 72 grams in a week!) and the appointment is set. I bought him brand new fresh white towels which I will put in his cage after I clean it tonight. Then right before I go to bed, I've been instructed to take away his food, but leave his water. I'm pretty nervous about this, but also really excited to see brother and sister reunited. So please, everyone cross fingers, toes, and piggy claws for Freddy. Thanks!!

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
:/ I believe most people think pigs should be allowed food through out the night. They aren't cats or dogs, they have no ability to vomit after surgery [the whole point of taking away food.]

Guinea Lynx :: Surgery
dt.gif
How long should the animal fast before surgery?
There are two schools of thought. Some vets find one to two hours sufficient. Others fast for four to eight hours.

1-2 hours: Those who fast for one to two hours generally feel guinea pigs should not be fasted overnight because their digestive system requires a constant supply of food. It is thought that guinea pigs cannot regurgitate food. Most vets have no problem with short fast times.

4-8 hours: In a few cases, guinea pigs under anesthesia have aspirated food trapped in hidden pocket in the throat. If a longer fast time (four to eight hours) is selected, glucose must be provided. It is usually combined with hydration fluids and given subcue to compensate. Pinta writes, "The longer fasting time is a NEW protocol and vets should be able to get more info on it thru their professional contacts or VIN."

Good luck!

Last edited:

Cosmictadpole

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info Haley. I'll call the vet and ask her about this. She did mention that they can't throw up the food, but did say something about increased drooling if I remember correctly. So I'll check with her and mention the shorter fast period and/or the glucose. Thanks again!

sophistic_chick

Cavy Slave
When I had my boys neutered I took them in the night before (because my hospital opens at 7:30am and I worked that morning shift). I made sure they had plenty of timothy hay, pellets and fresh veggies. The doctor usually fasts no more than 4 hours to prevent the gut from stopping, which is a bad thing to happen.

I originally wanted to do pre-surgery bloodwork but my guys were slightly dehydrated so they were only able to do a PCV (packed cell volume count-basically it checks red blood cell counts), I believe a total protein count and some other tests. They were given fluids under the skin (subcutaneous). They were also sent home on Metacam (for pain) and the generic brand of Bactrim as a pre-cautionary measure. I made sure that I brought some Critical Care home, just in case they decided they didn't want to eat.

When I got them home I made sure that they continued to eat and did incision checks twice daily. They healed and recovered perfectly fine.

I hope this helps you some. If you have any more questions please ask. Oh and my boys were a year old when I got them neutered.

Cosmictadpole

Cavy Slave
Wow, Sophistic_chick! Thanks for all the info! I'm going to print out your post and take it with me to the vet's. I'm also going to call, and see if she's ok with me doing a 4 hour fast instead of all night. Sounds like that will be better.

sophistic_chick

Cavy Slave
You are MORE than welcome Cosmictadpole...I work at a vet hospital (which doesn't normally see exotics) and know the importance of pre-surgical bloodwork. I was honestly bummed when they couldn't do a full 6 panel of chemistries.

With the fasting, I didn't have to do any at home. The Dr. who preformed the surgery did a seminar on rabbits and ferrets on the weekend (which I attended) and he wants all of the patients to come in with food and they fast according to the surgery time scheduled. Also, the second they are awake and walking around the food goes back in.

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
I am wishing the best for your little Freddie! It's my belief too that he should have food through the night, all four of my pigs did when they had surgery. In fact they encouraged that they did eat beforehand.

I've had two pigs neutered. Spencer was a fast healer and was pop corning within a week, ok so maybe that wasn't a good idea when you have a healing incision! Brownie on the other hand didn't do so well, I won't worry you with the details but after a long battle he did survive.

Fingers crossed.

Cosmictadpole

Cavy Slave
Thanks Rachy! I'm glad your pigs did well in the end. I have taken the feeding info to heart, and have left a message with the vet to discuss it with her. I drop him off at the vet's at 8:00 am, so I'm thinking that a good compromise would be to just take his food away when I get up in the morning. Then he should just have a couple of hours without it, and I'll make sure he's got food available to him right when he wakes up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.