Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Guinea Pig Leash?

SJane3384

Cavy Slave
I found something called a "Stretchy Stroller" while I was goofing around online and was wondering how safe it would be to use. Essentially what it is, is a mesh-style vest for a cavy to wear, that has a small clip that you can attach a leash to. On one hand, I thought it would be really cool to use because my husband and I recently moved to an apartment on the third floor and so Red doesn't get to go out and play in the grass like he used to. On the other though, I worry about trying to get him to wear it, and also about leash walking him in a neighborhood with dogs (of course we would be very careful and defensive...but there is always the possibility of that "one time" when we are looking away or something).

Here is a link:
(broken link removed)

Anyone have any experience with these?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Harnesses and leashes should never be used on guinea pigs. They are too dangerous. They aren't dogs to be taken for walks.

SJane3384

Cavy Slave
Harnesses and leashes should never be used on guinea pigs. They are too dangerous. They aren't dogs to be taken for walks.

Wow. I didn't mean it like that. I just meant we'd end up carrying him outside and sitting in the grass with him. We used to make a giant cube pen in the backyard and he absolutely LOVED playing in the grass. When we moved to the apartment I felt bad that he didn't get his outside time, and that's why I even considered this. I guess he'll just have to make due with carpet and tile.

Justin

Cavy Slave
I had one of those "Cute Guinea Pig Harnesses" when I didn't know better. One day, I put it on my former pig and went to park for a happy walk. My experience says;

1. My pig wouldn't enjoy walking in the open space. No matter how long I waited and encouraged her, to my bitter disappointment, she wouldn't lead me to a walk like my dog would. She was just so frightened and frozen in one spot for long time.

2. Due to her small legs fatty body, the mesh vest harnesses couldn't hold her when she finally tried to escape. She would just take it off easily, then run. When pigs run away in a park, you have good chance to loose it. I was lucky enough to catch her back and never tried the stupid harness again.

3. The whole experience was not very enjoyable to me.

Hope it helped.

Justin

Cavy Slave
I think a picnic instead of hiking would be nice. You can have a nice picnic in a sunny Saturday. You pig stay in a enclosed play pen right next to your picnic table, while you make sure no dogs are around.

But we should ask more experienced people on this.

SJane3384

Cavy Slave
Thanks, Justin. Like I said, I didn't want to walk Red like a dog...I just wanted to be able to give him some outside time, with my husband and myself sitting on either side of him. The leash was just to be added protection in case he tried to escape. But since you've said he can easily wiggle out, you've taken me from about 85% against to 110%. He'll just have to wait until we have a house again to play outside, which sucks.

On a positive note, he discovered the vertical blinds during his floor time today...he just kept running circles behind them and popping out at various intervals to popcorn and run to my husband. It was adorable.

Last edited:

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Years ago with my very first pig Moose I tried a leash. Like Justin, I didn't know any better, but my experience was very similar to his - Moosie more or less refused to do what I "wanted" him to do so I picked him up and carried him. Poor dear pig.

As for outside time, wouldn't it be reasonable to make a portable something with some zip tied grids? As long as you and/or your husband could make sure no cats, dogs, or birds were around, it could be open on top. Just make sure you know what they've treated the grass with at your new apartment so your pig doesn't ingest any pesticides or anything.

Good luck!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Please don't take my earlier response as rude because it wasn't intented that way. Those that don't know my posting style often mistake my responses for something they aren't. It's just that leashes and harnesses can injure a pig. If the pig started trying to run away and you jerk on it, you could end up breaking his spine if you jerked on the other end of the leash. Their spines aren't designed to do that just as they aren't designed to run in balls or run on wheels. They can often escape the harnesses.

ArtisticRainey

Cavy Slave
You could try growing a container of grass for him to graze on in the house. I've never done this, so I don't know how well it would turn out, but it's a possibility. You'd even get a wee bit of garden in your apartment. It's not a great substitute, but it's something.

caviecrazie

Cavy Gazer
Haha, i saw leashes for sale but i suspected my guinea pigs would escape from them anyway, as they are so small, but I didn't think it a good idea anyway. I would take ArtisticRainey's idea and grow some grass for inside.

GuineaAddict

Cavy Slave
They actually sell little pots of grass that you can buy to give to your pets. Now I don't know if they sell them anywhere else at the pet store, but maybe if you looked at grociery stores or anywhere that carries plants period, you might find it. Now that I think of it (I don't know if walmart is considered a bad place to buy on this site), but Walmart definitely has a little container thing that has growable grass in it for pets in the pet department.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
I have seen them at health food stores and major chain supermarkets. I have a friend that planted the grass from the container in a pot and it not only grew, it also spread out. You could probably get untreated (with chemicals) seeds at the health food store also.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Ly, I was taken aback the first time that I read one of your posts, but it very quickly became obvious that you are a cut-to-the-chase type of person and your love of all things furry is enormous. I appreciate your directness and brevity.

PS - Should this go in the Suck Up To Mods thread?lol

Last edited:

babyboo

Cavy Slave
You also have to be careful about the grass. Do you know if they spray the grass with bad chemicals? I highly doubt that you would want to feed your piggie that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.