Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Ileus?

dufay

Cavy Slave
I recently got 2 girls (mom, daughter) from a family who didn't want her. Family got them from animal shelter. I never look at Craigs List- but I happened to one day, and there you go. 2 more to my 3 (separate C&C cage). Estimate of mom's age about 1.5 years. Both girls were thriving, but earlier in the week mom stopped eating and socializing. I forced fluids and Critical Care, but she was fading. When I left for work Tuesday she was in her hut with grunting breathing, and I was sure she would be dead by the time I got home. Much to my surprise, she was not only alive, but seemed back to normal. Had her checked at the vet, who thought she could have had an ileus (this is when the intestines motility stops) from stress. Vet said fluids/Crit Care probably helped get things going. I haven't read of ileus being a cause of cavy distress. Any thoughts?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Here is a total definition of an ileus- (broken link removed).

What's her diet been like lately?

dufay

Cavy Slave
My girls get Cavy Cuisine, fresh timothy hay (from Farmer Dave) and a nice salad mix in the evening with Romaine or endive, tomatoes, carrots, parsley or dandelion greens when in season (not from a lawn). I have 2 old ladies who are thriving on this.

dufay

Cavy Slave
My girls get Cavy Cuisine, fresh timothy hay (Reference removed by administrator), and a nightly salad mix with Romaine, escarole, tomatoes, carrots, a little fruit etc. They eat well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.