Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Stupid, Heartless People -- and the Blessing I Got From Them

I<3MyBabies

Cavy Slave
Well --

I went to my local PetSmart to pick up some more piggie food since we ran out of our Oxbow --had to get some junk food for the meantime. As I was walking in, I see a cardboard box. I didn't think much of it until I DISTINCTLY heard a sneeze come from that box. I stooped over and low and behold, in the 98 degree heat, in an open topped box with no bedding or food or water, was a tiny little hairless rat. Can't be older than 4 weeks at the most. So of course, I scooped the box into my arms and ran inside. I quickly asked for the manager and showed her the little thing.

"What do I do with her?" I ask.

"Well, unless you take her, she will be put to sleep. We don't know where she is from so we can't sell her."

I just stared in confusion and wonderment.

"You mean you would put this cute, innocent little girl to sleep becuase some idiot left her in the heat to die?"

"I'm sorry, its policy."

The parents and fiance will be furious. Its just SO "Heidi-typical" of me. Bring home ANOTHER animal. (Adding to the 4 rats, 4 guinea pigs, chihuahua,boxer, and stray cat).

"Well, I can't let you do that. I'm taking her." I said indignantly.

Who does that? Leaves a helpless baby in the middle of the heat to die??? :mad:

So, here I am scrubbing the hell out of the girls FN. I blocked off the bottom for the new baby, and the girls get the top. I'm praying that the little one is healthy. But I didn't have a quarentine cage!

Anyways, I THINK the baby is female. But I'm unsure. I haven't had one this young. So I'm definatley keeping them all seperate until she is deemed healthy by my vet and also deemed...female!

But God sure does work in funny ways. I have been looking for a nekkid baby to adopt or rescue but with no avail. I have found a few males but no females. Well, here this baby is laid in my arms practically.

*Sigh* I'm either a huge old sucker and extremely blessed. Probably a little of both.

Anyways the nameless baby is resting now in her first ever hammock I'm sure. I need to get some Ensure to get her fattened up. I'll post pictures soon!

She is a nekkid berk I think. (Would that be right? She has some fuzz and is black skinned).

Wish her luck, I hope she makes it!

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
Aww, she sounds beautiful. Poor sweet thing, I am glad she will now have a forever home. Best of luck little girl (hopefully girl)..lol.

Alusdra

Cavy Slave
Wow- lucky- for you and the rat!

I hope she's healthy and female for you- though with the sneezing maybe not. That's sort of weird about their policy, though- the Pet-something near where I lived (back when I went there) would take in animals that people didn't want and adopt them out. Or maybe my store was the odd one.

babyboo

Cavy Slave
That little rattie sounds so cute:)
Good Luck:)

I<3MyBabies

Cavy Slave
Our Petco does adoptions --

PetSmart, not so much apparently.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Kudos, for taking her. Stupid people. I would have taken her too. Keep us posted and of course pictures.

I<3MyBabies

Cavy Slave
Well, Tonks is doing alright.

She has eaten some of her Suebee's by herself. I mean not enough to shake stick at, but its something. I'm not sure if she's drinking. I'm really having a tough time getting her to take Ensure or water from a syringe. I did give her a little washcloth to hide under, and scooted her food right near her. That's when she started to eat. So this morning I moved the water bottle near her little corner. Hopefully, she will get up the nerve to try it.

She is doing better though, thank God. She was falling asleep in my hands this morning. I think she feels safe when she feels warm skin on her. She might be a little cold too, being alone right now. I'm going to make her a little bean bag with a sock and rice, and microwave that. Hopefully it will help her.

She has a vet visit shortly, will keep you updated... little brother never came home last night, so neither did my camera. *grr*

Rattie Mom

Cavy Slave
Awe, she sounds like a little angel. I do hope her vet visit goes well and she's deemed healthy.

Have you tried some other yummy foods that might help spark her appetite? like maybe some cooked pasta, avacado, frozen peas/corn, cooked sweet potato? I've also found that A/D (canned catfood with extra calories) mixed with a bit of fruit flavored babyfood and Ensure (to make a soupy mush) can really help get them eating and put a little weight on them.

Love to see pics as soon as you.

I<3MyBabies

Cavy Slave
YAY YAY YAY, She is drinking!!! WOO HOO!!!

I have never been so excited over water consumption.

Geez.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
YAY!! Go Tonks! It is like, I have never been so excited over pig poop - Ella has started pooping again (gave me 5 presents!)!

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Slave
Yea for Tonks and Ella!!!!!!

I<3MyBabies

Cavy Slave
Ok I'm here!

Sorry took so long... and by the way -- Tonks is NOT loving the camera. But I did my best. They still don't do her cuteness justice!

CIMG0493.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

CIMG0484.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

CIMG0473.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And just because I love ALL my girlies -- this was right after bathtime

CIMG0431.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I'll take more later of Tonks when she is a bit sleepier...

She is doing fabulously! I think she will make a full recovery from her dehydration and sunburn! And yes...I'm keeping her. My mother just doesn't know it yet...the FI does though :-D He's like , "Yep...we are keeping her" when he saw me cuddling her.

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
All of your gilrs are pretty, but I am partial to nudies. I have a hairless cat, and skinny pig. I have been thinking of getting some rats lately, I love them, I had one as a kid, same old story, didn't know anything about them. He was alone, in an aquarium, store food. So would like to do it right this time, now I must keep my open for a rescue with a hairless rat. Your little girl is just too cute, I love her, she looks so cuddly.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Slave
Oh, Heidi, Tonks is just adorable!! I am so glad she is doing better. I am guessing she got a good vet report?!
All of your other pictures are fabulous!! It so makes me miss my ratties...sigh

babybunny

Cavy Slave
Awwww! So freakin cute! *must resist the cuteness* Good luck with her!

Rattie Mom

Cavy Slave
All of your girls are lovely. But little Tonks is a beautiful little princess!

She reminds me of my Zoey, when she was that small. Here's a baby pic of her (Zoey is almost a year old now). It's before she lost her "peach fuzz":
Stupid, Heartless People -- and the Blessing I Got From Them

And here is our very first nekkid girl, Rosie. She was one in a million, that girl. :*)
Stupid, Heartless People -- and the Blessing I Got From Them

Go Tonks!!! Nekkid ratties rule! :)

I<3MyBabies

Cavy Slave
Yeah her report was good! She was dehydrated but since she had started drinking, he said keep an eye on her and as long as she was improving, she would be ok! And so far, so good. She is gaining courage and venturing around her big cage! Thanks for everyones support!

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
So glad Tonks is doing well. How could someone leave her like that in the heat. I have never had rats and I fell in love with her pictures. Thank you for taking the little princess home and loving her!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.