Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

IVERMECTIN question

ematthws

Cavy Slave
Have any of you used Ivermectin to treat mites on your pigs? And if so where did you buy it from?

My pigs have something going on with their skin- it might be a fungal infection or mites. I'm going to treat them with Ivermectin incase its mites and if it doesn't clear up after that I'm going to take them to the vet to see if its fungal. Is this a good idea or not? What do you guys think I should do?

Thanks for all and any advice you can give me!

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
OK, I keep having to post twice b/c the first isn't going through. Ivermectin has to be dosed EXACTLY by the weight of your pig. If you overdose it WILL kill your pig. I get mine from the vet office I work at. Having said that, I believe you can buy it from some feed stores. If this is the way you must go, GuineaLynx has a dosing chart on it for ivermectin. Please be sure to have an accurate weight for your pig!

Toadies

Cavy Slave
When I've given my boys Ivermec for mites, it has required 2 doses, I believe 2 weeks apart. It's not a casual thing to give. I personally wouldn't run the risk of doing this on my own. If it's not mites, why treat for mites? If it's fungal, why delay appropriate treatment? That said, Guinealynx is a good site to reference.

Last edited:

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
We automatically treat our new rescues for mites while they're in their 3-week quarantine period.

We also have to do ivermectin treatments once or twice a year (depending on whether humidity, stress from illness, etc., cause a mite flare-up).

We use the Iver-On ivermectin pour-on because it's very simple to use straight from the bottle. It has an open top, so no syringe is needed to draw it out, and no mixing is required. We get ours at our local TSC (Tractor Supply Company). You can also get it at Jeffers livestock (online).

Here is a link for the weight/dosage chart and instructions for use:(broken link removed).

Last edited:

ematthws

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone!

I ended up just taking my piggies to the vet because I wanted to make sure i got everything they were suffering from cured. It turned out it was just mites and they got their first shot and I'm taking them back next week for the 2nd dose.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
When I've given my boys Ivermec for mites, it has required 2 doses, I believe 2 weeks apart. It's not a casual thing to give. I personally wouldn't run the risk of doing this on my own. If it's not mites, why treat for mites? If it's fungal, why delay appropriate treatment? That said, Guinealynx is a good site to reference.

No it isnt 2 weeks apart. 7-10 days apart, but people should try and give it every 7 days for optimum results. Pigs may need anywhere from 3-5 doses depending on how bad the case is. Ivomec is quite safe, and the dose easy to work out so there is no reason why you couldn't give it on your own. Some people treat for mites, regardless of whether or not they are showing it as a pre-caution. So for example, any new pig that comes into my home gets treated regardless of whether or not they show the symptoms.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
No it isnt 2 weeks apart. 7-10 days apart, but people should try and give it every 7 days for optimum results. Pigs may need anywhere from 3-5 doses depending on how bad the case is. Ivomec is quite safe, and the dose easy to work out so there is no reason why you couldn't give it on your own. Some people treat for mites, regardless of whether or not they are showing it as a pre-caution. So for example, any new pig that comes into my home gets treated regardless of whether or not they show the symptoms.
I agree. We dose every 7-10 days for 3- to- 5 weeks (until symptoms are abated). Or, in the case of new rescues, automatically 3-weeks.

We use the Iver-On pour-on because it just takes a drop, or two, rubbed in behind the ear. No trips to the vet or painful injections are required.

NUGSspiderROSIE

Cavy Slave
So it is just as effective to put a few drops behind their ears as it is to administer orally? I am going to treat my 3 guinea pigs for mites because they are shedding more than usual and it makes me nervous. I am trying to figure out the best/easiest thing to do.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.