Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

i'm new here and worried about my 2 piggies.

T

tinahagar

i'm new here and worried about my 2 piggies.

i realise we can't talk about breeding.
i have a male and a female and they mated. i didn't know about the dangers, the pet shop said it's good to let them. i've read books and a lot of them support the idea. i didn't know my piggy could die! she had her babies this morning and i seperated the male piggy and will never put them together again!
my female piggy doesn't know what to do with her babies, and she has also got mites. she has been to the vet, but can only be washed with prescription shampoo until the babies are feeding on their own in 2 weeks. then she will be injected once every week for 3 weeks. do you think she will be ok? also my male piggy is lonely and sad and i'm no comfort to him. what can i do?
tina x
[email protected]

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: i'm new here and worried about my 2 piggies.

First of all, mites are not cured/treated with Shampoo. Only ivermectin, and if she really has them (and she probably does if she came from a pet store), then your MALE AND FEMALE need to be treated with ivermectin. She can be treated now.

Have you sexed the babies yet?

I hope you pulled the male out BEFORE she gave birth. Otherwise, she could very well be pregnant again, as females go into heat in a big way about an hour or so after they deliver.

What kind of cage set up do you have?

Attachments

Maurice Prt. 2 018.jpg
T

tinahagar

i already know this information. my vet has advised me to wait untill my guinea pig has finished feeding her babies in two weeks time. this i will do. i will take her further advice.
i live in uk and would like to know where i could buy those wire cubes as i would love to make a new exciting cage for them all with lots more exciting accessories and toys. my boyfriend works in poundstretchers and they don't sell them anymore and they're no longer in the littlewoods extra catalogue:( do you know of any where else i can buy them? or anything like them. i will put nice flooring in for them and stuff.
tina x
[email protected];)

2steps

homebase have cubes but there dearer than poundstretcher or littlewoods. My mum works for littlewoods, I'll ask her if they still have them :) I used vinyl sticky back tiles for flooring. I stuck them to a piece of hardboard covered with tarpaulin. Where in the uk are you? I'm in west london :)

T

tinahagar

hi, i live in the north east of england; redcar, cleveland. near middlesbrough.
i managed to get one set of cubes, my boyfriend nicked the stores set that they were using. they only cost me £4.27! so that's a start. i've used sticky back tiles for the floor too. it's a great idea isn't it!
i'd grateful if you could ask your mum. i'd like another two sets ideally so i can have three floors. it depends on how expensive they are. £20 each is about the most i'd pay.
i don't know where there is a homebase near me, i'll look for their website and do a store check.
thanks loads, tina x
[email protected]

M

michaelince

Hi, I was trying to get cubes about three weeks back (I live in Essex) - neither Poundstretcher nor Homebase stock them any longer, but you might find some on the shelves. Homebase head office gave me the product code 118650 for their 'three tier bathroom storage' - It helped me to quote this as the store could quickly check stocks. I got 4 packs of 13 grids for £8.99 each.
Cavy cages have a link on thier home page to a materials database you can search by country etc. (and update it when you get your cubes!) guineapigcages.com/

Coroplast is called Correx in the UK and is available from sign makers or their suppliers, you should be able to get a 8x4 sheet for about £6.50+vat (delivery would be extra). It's advantage over floor tiles is there are no gaps for mess (except the corners) and you can make the sides as high as you like to keep the mess in (I left the front faily low so the boys could see out easily)

If you make a cage with a divider your boy should be fairly happy (but frustrated!) having piggies close by that he can touch noses with...
But beware - I've read tales of boars (and sows) crossing one grid high dividers!

Mince:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.