Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello! (New guy, few questions :))

J

Josepi

Hello! (New guy, few questions :))

I just recently got a GP, his name is Buddy!

A few days after getting him, his eye had a nasty discharge, and yielded a quick trip to the vet. The vet at the time said that his lungs sounded clear and issued a antibiotic cream for his eye. That was about a week ago, and his eye is clearing up nicely!

But the bad news is he has been sneezing quite often, maybe 4-5 times an hour. He does get boogers occasional, and either Buddy or myself take them off of his nose. He's going back to the vet on Friday, what should I tell the vet (besides the obvious), like I suspect a URI? During playtime (floor) he breaths ok and loudly (sniffing for hay!) but every now and then, it sounds like he has a booger stuck in his nose and he makes the clicking sounds that match up with his breathing...(boogers?)

Now that that's out of the way, he gets plenty of playtime of the floor working for hay by being nice. He'll run up to your hand and sniff, do a lil sqeaking, run around, hop like a crazy animal (popcorning?), and smell everything.

Keeping in mind this is my first GP experience, I obtained a "play pen". Works wonders, and he enjoys it. Only one problem. In the past few days, he's learned how to JUMP. Not hop, but JUMP. He can get a easy 3-4" off of the ground by just jumping, then he does the same thing with the side of the pen, grabbing the top and climbing over to freedom (I've thought about inquiring the manufacturer of these pens to see if they make guard towers ;) ).

M

michaelince

Re: Hello! (New guy, few questions :))

Hi Josepi & Buddy!

Buddy sound's like a great GP (and you a good GP slave).
I'm no medical expert - so can only say you're doing the right thing to take him to the vet. It would be worth looking at some of the advice on sites like;
(broken link removed)
guinealynx.info
cavyspirit.com
If you gen up on things before you go to the vet you can make sure he gets the right treatment;)

I hope he recovers soon:D

P.S. You can get guard towers from any Towers'R'Us store :lol: and remember to wear protective gloves when putting him in and out of the pen - that razor wire is vicious:rolleyes:

S

SpackyCymru79

RE: Hello! (New guy, few questions :))

Josephi, it sounds like he might have some kind of respitory infection, but I'm no expert and you are doing the right thing taking Buddy to the vet.

It sounds like he can be a right little bugger:D I have 2 girls and one of mine (Blodwyn) is a right little bugger. She can sniff out escape routes. She even managed to get from the floor up the sofa from the sofa onto the table and then from the table she managed to half climb onto the kitchen unit to poke her head through the knives and forks where a was chopping up veggies! My fault for having a throw over the sofa she can climb up and having the sofa and table touching each other8o

J

Josepi

:)

After doing much research, it really sounds like Buddy is suffering from a URI (clicking breathing and boogers are now common :( ). I went ahead and bumped his appt. up to today so I can get him some proper care.

Turns out the crusty eye can be one of the first signs of a URI :( . I presume my vet knew what he was doing because he did check his lungs immediatly after the eye.

Has anyone had any luck getting pet stores to reimburse vet bills (I have a two week "warranty" on Buddy, but I'm a little to attatched to give him up!).

M

michaelince

Re: :)

Well done! Please let us know how Buddy get's on...:eek:

And best of luck with the
pet store

Mince:D

J

Josepi

update!

He's doing MUCH better now.

We starting a treatment of a transdermal antibiotic. His sneezing is almost going, his eye is open and free of crusties!

Attachments

197770_2259709418931_1434278310_32647050_2995245_n.jpg 200406_1893344860046_1434278310_32189009_1832158_n.jpg 316791_2514180620552_1434278310_32923073_569754451_n.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.