Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Play Areas and Floor Time Ideas

ginger12508

Cavy Slave
What are some good things to include in a play area? I'm planning to use extra grids for the pen, and outside. But I'm not sure what to put in. Are there any things that piggies like during playtime? Certain toys? And, for outside, are there certain bugs that are harmful to piggies? Thanks!

willowfaery

Cavy Slave
Tunnels are a big hit with my piggies. For outside, you might want to use a pvc pipe. They are easy to clean. You could also make them a cool tunnel maze with some cardboard boxes. Just make sure they are big enough so that your pigs don't get stuck. Check out the toy, floor time, and outdoor environment sections of the photos. That may give you some ideas. Also make sure they have plenty of hay and water. I don't know about bugs. I've never taken my piggies outside. I don't have a yard unfortunately.

ginger12508

Cavy Slave
Ok, thanks! Are there any ferret toys that piggies like? I've heard of some, but not sure on others.

ginger12508

Cavy Slave
Oh, and before I forget, I have another question. I have a colored playpen with 8 panels that I have seen some other people have. Are pigs able to climb that? My hamster can, and I keep having to put him back in when he escapes. Also, I wouldn't used it closed, since it's pretty small when it's closed.

willowfaery

Cavy Slave
I know that some piggies like hammocks. You can get them in the ferret section of the pet store. But you should google "guinea pig hammocks". There are some really cool sites with hand made hammocks. You can pick your fabrics and you don't have to support crummy pet stores. Also, my friend's younger pig likes to play with cat balls. I'm eventually going to invest in one of those ferret octopus floor things. They have a flower one too. It's something they can tunnel through and hide in. I think Super Pets makes them? Not sure. Oh and my friend also uses one of those ferret crinkle tunnels. Her younger piggy likes that too. If I think of anything else, I will let you know.

ginger12508

Cavy Slave
Wow, thanks willowfairy! That was a lot of great info! I think I will buy one of those hammocks, but I'll search google for the piggy hammocks. Since I plan on getting two pigs, then should I get two? And for the C&C cage, I plan to have an open one. How would I attach that to the cage? Sorry, kind of getting off topic here.

willowfaery

Cavy Slave
You might check out this link (broken link removed) Seems like they have some neat hammocks. I would only buy one to start. That way if only one of your piggies likes it, then you won't be wasting your money. You can either attach them to the sides of the cage or you could create an open-ended 1x1 grid "room" with a single grid as a roof and hang it from there. It just depends on the design of the hammock I think.

ginger12508

Cavy Slave
Would the corner hammock work well? Thanks for the site! It has a lot of great stuff!

willowfaery

Cavy Slave
Yeah.That's the kind I want to get. If you buy one, let me know how it works out. I have to wait until I move and have a little more money. Plus I'm getting new fleece and I need to see what my colors are going to be....not that my piggies care. LOL

Pumpkin_RIP

Cavy Slave
Oh, and before I forget, I have another question. I have a colored playpen with 8 panels that I have seen some other people have. Are pigs able to climb that? My hamster can, and I keep having to put him back in when he escapes. Also, I wouldn't used it closed, since it's pretty small when it's closed.

My friend has one of those, and even her 6 yr. old piggie could climb out when she wanted to! So, I would watch them closely when they are in it. It's a great thing to use, though.

5guinea5pig5

Cavy Slave
I like to get some of those boxes that you fold to put together and some toilet paper and paper towel roll and make mazes and shelves and stuff. My piggies love it.

werevamper

Cavy Slave

I have one that I use for floor time and my pigs don't try to escape. One of them does try to get closer to me by leaning on it though, so it depends how heavy the pig is. Mine hasn't managed to flip it over or jump over it yet.

werevamper

Cavy Slave
I have an update on my post. My adult (Zumie)couldn't get out and was the one leaning on it, but my baby (Beau) has figured out how to open it. He just tilts his head sideways and uses his teeth to pull it apart, then tries to just walk through it to see if it's open.

So now he just has almost full access to my room, just not under the bed or by the computer. I blocked those areas off with zip-tied grids and one of the playpens.

Sadly, Zumie got attacked by my mom's dog on Sunday morning and passed away on Monday night. So now Beau's by himself until I can afford to get another buddy for him.

He's now got part of the cage opened up so he can have things to do instead of looking for Zumie and being depressed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.