Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Took Layla to the vet to get checked for cysts.

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
I took Layla to the same vet that neutered my male, Clancy.

They are just so excited when a guinea pig comes in! It's really cute. When we were in the exam room all the techs came over to coo over how cute she was. And of course she was showing off ;)

Anywho, I told the vet I was worried about her cysts. Also, Layla has stopped mounting the way she was a few weeks ago (kinda like how you take your car to a mechanic for acting up but it stops when you get to the mechanic!)

The vet was looking at her sides/back where I told her I see Layla biting at a lot (I thought it was out of pain from the cysts) and the vet saw a creepy crawler on her. The vet got it with a piece of tape and showed me the lice under a microscope. (It was SO icky looking). I was especially upset because I have treated my pigs with Ivermectin and a few doses of Revolution but then to find lice I was just so frustrated. But I am willing to bet my newest pig (that came from a rescue) was the culprit of bringing in the new bugs because the other three were treated numerous times.

So we got more Revolution from the vet and dosed them accordingly. Changed the fleece, cleaned everything in the cage, blah blah.

I plan on doing more doses in another month, possibly another after that (to make sure the eggs are gone, etc).

So, the vet told me that 75% of sows have ovarian cysts but that it was a question of how bad they get and how puffed out or bloated their sides get. She told me that Layla appears to be fine and that she is just a bit chunky (which I already knew) and that if I really was worried I could bring her back and spay her. The main reason that I thought it was possibly cysts was not only the hormonal/PMS-iness but also the biting at her sides which NOW I realize that she has lice.

Just wanted to give an update and ask any comments or suggestions about what to watch for and if the 75% statistic was actually true? I had never heard this.

I know GL had some symptoms of cysts that I have read so now I am just trying to get rid of the bugs (hopefully FOREVER) and watching her symptoms after that to see if I should spay her or not.

clotho

Cavy Slave
I used Advantage to get rid of lice with great results. However, the revolution should work too.

I have had two sows with ovarian cysts and both times my vet was able to palpitate the cysts to diagnose them. I would be wary of spaying without proof she had cysts. One sow did fine with the operation and I lost the second - so there are definitely risks with any surgery and spaying a sow is a very complicated, delicate surgery. You would have to make sure you have a VERY competent vet who has done hundreds of guinea pig spays with a great success rate. And even then you don't have a guarantee.

You might want to look into hormone injections. Do a search on the forum and you'll find some good info.

In both my girls there was NO hair loss and no crusty nipples. They both acted pregnant - they got pear shapes to their bodies and had weight gain and were hormonal. They both had atypical symptoms of ovarian cysts. So not every pig is the same.

My vet has also made mention of a figure at least as high as what you said of the number of sows who eventually get ovarian cysts. In fact, he believes in spaying preventively. I used to agree with him, until I lost my poor wee Zoro after her spay operation (she was only 3 months old).

You really have to weigh the risks and make the best decision you can for your piggie. Good luck with her!

love my pigs
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Sometimes parasites can lay dormant and flare up in times of stress. Or hay or bedding can be infested or if you have dogs or cats that do outside and inside.

I've heard people say that before but that stat seems rather high. Good luck.

JanJam

Cavy Slave
Sorry to hear about the infestation and I hope it gets cleared up quick.

About cycts - I don't know about that statistic, but two things to say:
1. I have had 2 sows with cycts and both had an ultrasound scan to prove this, so I would tend to agree that just feeling the piggie isn't enough proof for cysts.
2. Here is an excellent thread about cysts which may prove useful should Layla (great name!) turn out to have this https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-guinea-pigs/33597-rosie-ovarian-cysts-good-vets.html

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.