Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Trouble adopting ratties

wiggley_narco

Cavy Gazer
Well, it's for sure: I love ratties. Having rescued my two girls from being put down after my boyfriend's brother's biology class testing crap, I've developed quite the liking for ratties.

I want a couple more... maybe they could help show my girls that people aren't all that bad. The ratties I have are terrified of me because their previous contact with humans involved needles for experimenting... *sigh*. They eat out of my hand, but they refuse to be held after I spend forever catching them. All they want is to get away--far, far away. Maybe younger ratties without the bad experience with humans can help them to be more sociable... I don't know, it's just a thought. But I want more regardless. :)

I'm just so frustrated at trying to find rats to adopt. I've checked Craigslist/Petfinder for a couple of weeks with no luck... and the nearest rescues/shelters with rats are 4+ hours away. My boyfriend made the mistake of suggesting I buy them from PetSmart--he quickly realized the error of his ways after I reminded him (for over an hour) WHY exactly I won't do that. Silly boy.

Well, I'm rambling, but that tends to happen with me... especially after a long, long day of work.

The point of all this: anyone know of any ratties in need of a home in Western North Carolina?

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Maybe you could do a similar thing, like we do for the pigs - a rattie train! If there is a rescue or someone that is just a tad to far for you to travel, I suggest you give them a call anyway and check it out. Perhaps they can organise to meet you half way!

Rattie Mom

Cavy Slave
I'll put out some "feelers" and see if there's anyone in your area (or close by) that can help. Bless you for not contributing to awful petstore sales. We'll find you some new friends for your girls, I promise!:)

And your thinking is right on too. It often does help to have a couple of socialized ratties to show the shy ones the way. Your girls have gone through so much though...they may never be perfectly socialized.:weepy:

I've had many rescues over the years. Some less social than others. So many have just come alive after a little time! (and I've had some horribly abused rescues too). Some ratties never do adjust to being held. I have two beautiful sweet girls (who look just like yours) that are friendly, happy and healthy. They will come to the front of the cage and let me pet them. They love to play etc. But they are NOT happy when I pick them up. Sometimes using a basket to carry ratties to the play area helps. That way they come out on their own terms.

Stay tuned.....I'll get you some resources in your area that can help you. :)

Rattie Mom

Cavy Slave
Are any of these relatively close by?
Search results - pets in adoption centers near Norcross, GA

I've posted on a couple other rat boards. So hopefully, someone will have some suggestions soon. I'll keep you posted.

Do you have a local Humane Society? They often get ratties. Or even local animal shelters sometimes do too.

Rattie Mom

Cavy Slave
Ok, just me again. :eek: I suppose these are the ratties that were 4+ hours away.

(broken link removed)

What a sweet little face!

I know it's not as easy for some. But I have a couple bunnies, and many ratties that I have adopted from Little Mischief Rescue in Vancouver, BC. I live in Portland, Oregon. That's a 6 hour drive one way for me. Oh, but all my babies have been worth it. By the way, I've just adopted two beautiful piggie girls, that I'm hoping to go up and get in the next couple of weeks. I just make a nice road trip out of it all. :)

Rattie Mom

Cavy Slave
Someone sent me this, though they are not familiar with them at all

Asheville, NC (2 hours from Charlotte)
Sondra Allison
828-683-7196

Raleigh Rodent Rescue

Raleigh, NC
(broken link removed)
[email protected]
919-522-2527
rats, mice, hamsters, gerbils, cavies, and other small animals

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
It took me a long time to find a single girl rattie to adopt here in NC. As far as I know, Raleigh Rodent Rescue doesn't have any females at the moment, but they do have a neutered male.

Rattie Mom

Cavy Slave
Wow, not here. There are so many ratties needing forever homes...that's why I always have around 20 at any given time. That and the fact I love them and can't ever seem to say no. :eek:

I did have trouble finding piggies though. I drove 3 hours one way to get my first two girls. And the second set are coming from 6 hours away.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
Yeah, it's weird how common some animals are in some areas (if you wanted guinea pigs in NC, you're golden, they're all over the place), but not in others. Rats very rarely show up in shelters here, and they're almost always male when they do.

wiggley_narco

Cavy Gazer
Thanks, RattieMom! You're always a great help. The ratties in Raleigh, GA, and TN are all too far away for me to get right now (all of the are 4+ hours).

I hit a deer last week while driving (which made me cry for freaking ever, as I can't stand the thought of killing anything), and my car is really tore up. I can't seem to get a ride anywhere farther than an hour or hour and a half away right now. It'll be months before my car is fixed--I don't have comprehensive insurance, and the damage totaled to over $3200. Long story short, I can't go very far for my ratties right now.

The contact you gave me in Asheville is only an hour away, though! Do you have any other info on that one? Like, is it a rescue or a private party needing to adopt out her pets?

Thanks so much for all the effort you've put into helping me with my girls. :)

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
Hey Wiggley, if you find any ratties in Raleigh, I'd help you do a rattie train (I'm right outside Raleigh).

wiggley_narco

Cavy Gazer
Really? That's awesome! I live in Forest City, NC (28043). I'm not sure what all is between here and Raleigh--where is it you live?

wiggley_narco

Cavy Gazer
I just saw on 3R's site that they're closed till May... :(

love my pigs
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Rattie Mom

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the contacts I posted. I posted on a couple of rat boards I belong to and asked folks there. Someone did a search for me, but didn't know about those either. Hopefully, I'll hear more soon.

There used to be a chat board here:

(broken link removed). but it's not coming up...so they might not be running the board anymore.

You might also post on (broken link removed) and see if anyone lives in your area and knows of ratties too.

If you were over her near the Northwest, I could totally "hook you up" ;)

I'm sure we'll find you a couple of wonderful little ladies...or maybe a nice neutered male would be great too.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
I'm actually in Morrisville, which is right outside Raleigh. I'm near Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Knightdale, Wendell, Fuquay Varina, Willow Springs, Apex, etc.

I'd have to come through Burlington and Greensboro on my way, as well, if that opens up more options. :)

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
Wiggley, I saw these babies on the Charlotte Craigslist today:
(broken link removed)

It sure seems like they need someone to take them out of that horrible aquarium.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.