Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Puffed up?

• Thread starter dextersmycutegp
  • Start date

dextersmycutegp

Cavy Slave
I was just reading a post where they said a piggy being puffed up meant they were in pain. Is that true?
Smores (my oldest at 5 1/2) is puffed up most of the time when she's sitting up. Generally it's when she's eating her veggies, could she be in pain or is it as I always assumed, that she's cold or just old?

PigWooBus

Cavy Slave
I have been wondering about the puffing up thing too, because one of my pigs tends to fluff up a bit when he sleeps. His sleeping seems normal, not excessive or anything. But sometimes if I lift the pigloo up real quick I can tell if he was sleeping if he looks fluffy. Does anyone know if this is sometimes normal or could indicate a health problem?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Where did you read the post? Being fluffed up can indicate the pig has a medical problem but is not necessarily indicative of a medical problem.

Is the pig eating/peeing/pooing ok? Any lethargy or weight loss?

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
The pigs I've had who have puffed up when in pain also puff up their hair so that it looks spikey. I think if they are just scrunching up their bodies while eating or being cozy it isn't anything to worry about. Unless you are noticing other signs.

JanJam

Cavy Slave
This may have been on my thread about Marsha where you saw this.

To try to clarify - what I mean by "puffed up" is when i see a piggie sitting in one corner of their cage, usually with their face against the sides, not moving, showing no interest in eating, drinking or moving about. They take no interest in what is going on around them and do not run away when you pick them up. They also look as if they are slightly hunched. To me it looks like if it were the case they were human they would be in the fetal position, as we humans tend to do when we are ill or upset.

I have noticed them looking rather fluffy when eating too, but this is different. Mine tend to look bigger when eating their veggies, they look extra fluffy but they are eating and moving about and taking an interest in what is going on around them. I put this down to them being happy, the human equivalent being getting goosebumps when we are excited.

So I'm sorry if any alarm has been caused. For Smores, I agree with the others. If there are other signs of illness then get to a vet. In Marsha's case she has had significant weight loss. (250g this year). I would highly recommend getting into the weekly weighing habit. I also find this useful from GL - Guinea Lynx :: What's Normal?

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
Sometimes our pigs will puff up, or "spike-out" when they're cold, or when they're eating cold veggies. They smooth back down when they get warm or get finished eating.

You just want to make sure to keep an eye out for lethargy, not eating, dull eyes, etc. to discern whether the puffiness is from illness or just being temporarily cold.

Sammy and Peanut

Cavy Slave
Peanut does this when he sleeps and eats veggies too. Like others have said, if it is showing other signs such as not eating/drinking, lethargy, or not wanting to move around anywhere, take him/her to the vet immediately.

dextersmycutegp

Cavy Slave
Yes, that was in thread about Marsha.
She's acting completely nomal and her looking poofed up is nothing new so I don't think there's anything to worry about.
Thanks.

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
My pigs all poof up when they are eating and sometimes when they appear to be sleeping. This is normal such as someone else mentioned.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.