Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cardboard and Towels: Hazards?

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
My cage has a towel tent in one corner and a large oatmeal container tunnel. The guinea pigs occasionally nibble the towel, and shred the inside of the oatmeal tunnel. Are these possible hazards? I wasn't worried about the cardboard, as it's a suggested toy on the C&C site, but my dad is in here every day nagging about it. So I'd like to have some feedback on the cardboard, so I can shut him up, lol!

PigWooBus

Cavy Slave
Piglet bites his towel sometimes, but I don't see any harm as long as they don't get ahold of a loose string or something. Same with the oatmeal container, I think it is fine. I give my pigs chubes sometimes and have recently started using oatmeal containers (as I only recently started eating it on a regular basis) the one thing I do with it though is peel the outside part off... I know the Quaker Oats containers have shiny stuff on the outside and I'm not sure about it. But the inside I think is fine. My pigs like to chew on toilet paper tubes and eat a little bit of it, so I think that is about the same thing.

babyboo

Cavy Slave
My pig is sort of over weight so I also slit the tube in case she were to get stuck:)

Leaflyn

Cavy Slave
I bought one of those "chube's" as I've heard them called. ALthough they are called something different by the Animal Planet brand, I think. The one I got came with some soft fluff, that I suppose they can use for bedding, and two small wood chunks that are for chewing on. Are these things safe?

GuineaAddict

Cavy Slave
The one I got came with some soft fluff, that I suppose they can use for bedding, and two small wood chunks that are for chewing on. Are these things safe?

I bought the cube too but I absolutely would not let them anywhere near that fluff stuff. It feels like it's made from fiberglass and I know my guinea pigs wouldn't play/sleep in/on it they'd just eat it. The last thing I need is a guinea dying from eating "bedding".

Toadies

Cavy Slave
I get my boys Chubes on a regular basis and, personally, I am not comfortable with the nesting material that comes with them. I think it is a polyester fiber and I don't want to risk it.

buttons

Cavy Slave
The C&C website also recommends towels to hang on corners as hidey-houses. I'm sure the towels should be fine, and also of course the cardboard.

I also always throw away the "bedding/fluff" from the chubes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.