Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Your Pig

RufussMom

Cavy Slave
Are the chances of complications during a neutering or spaying procedure of a guinea pig the same as a dog or cat? I assume it is more risky but have never heard of any animal dying from this surgery. How many people have done this and it turned out bad? Does it really change their behavior or just make it so that you can house different genders together?
:confused: :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
I imagine the risks are higher, since specialized vets are harder to find, and the animal is much, much smaller.

I friend of mine on a non-guinea pig related forum just had a boy die from a neuter gone wrong. He came out of surgery ok, but died later on.

What she said:
My only male guinea pig Scout went to be neutered today. He had his operation which went well and came around from the anaesthetic quickly. But he died shortly afterwards. The vet doesn't know what has caused it but thinks he may have had an underlying heart problem.

Alusdra

Cavy Slave
Here's the link from this site on neutering.

Spay/neuter is a really routine procedure in dogs/cats. It's rare for there to be complications in those species. But I believe that it is much more involved with the piggers- reproductive organs are harder to get to I think. (Or something- the article should clear it up.)

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
They are smaller animals and surgery is more invasive. Risk of post op infections are higher since they are ground dwelling creatures.

Neutering does not change their behavior. It only makes them unable to reproduce. The exception is sows who have ovarian cysts or hormonal issues which make them PMS-y all the time.

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
You know what...don't do it...don't put your an animal through that kind of procedure, they're not asking for it, there ARE risks no matter how big, small or routine the procedure is. Imagine yourself from your pigs perspective. Your brought to a different environment, your cut then sutured and in pain having no clue what's been done to you. Would you think that's fair for the sake of having your pig neutered to put him / her through that? I won't do it, I'll never do it and I don't support those that do. What is the reason for the neuter?? fear of babies? then keep your pigs the same sex. Moodiness??? won't change with neutering. PMS...deal with it. I wouldn't put my pet...any pet through a big or small surgery unless their life depended on it and I have explored all other avenues. Medicine can be a wonderful thing when it's warranted but neutering is not an issue that is.Sex organs in all animals are a natural part of their anatomy and shouldn't be messed with. They play a large role in maintaining hormonal balance and shouldn't be toyed with.

RufussMom

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the thoughts and the articles to read. I dont actually have a guinea pig right now and I was just curious as I think it would be nice to have a small herd. Don't worry, I wont neuter my pigs, I didn't think it would be safe and now I have more facts about it. :)

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
There are risks with any surgery but if you have an experienced vet, the risks decrease. There are some health benefits, especially with dogs, cats and rabbits. Not trying to discourage anyone from responsibly neutering their pets but it's easier to do same sex herds with guinea pigs.

Many rescues do routinely neuter their guinea pigs because they have access to low cost neuters and really good vets.

I've had several males neutered. They all came out fine except one developed an abscess months later.

pigs - not sure what you mean by hormonal balance. A hormonal animal can do things like spray and be miserable in heat for days on end. Neutered dogs, cats and rabbits are often healthier and live longer.

clotho

Cavy Slave
I have had two females spayed so far. Both had ovarian cysts and were miserable with being hormonal etc.

The first came through the operation just fine. She was in a lot of pain and required a lot of after care - but she was just fine.

The second died right after I got her home from the surgery :( Apparently she was active and eating at the vet's but when I got her home she was lethargic. I thought it was from being put under, but it quickly became apparent something much worse was going on. I was calling an emergency vet as she died in my arms. A necropsy showed she had a blood clot and a collapsed lung.

After the first surgery had gone just fine - I got a bit cocky and thought no problem - it's no big deal - maybe I'll even spay all my girls preventatively (because so many develop cysts eventually).

However, after losing my poor baby Zoro (she was only 3 months old - YES they can get cysts that young) I"ve rethought my position and will only do it if necessary. It really is a risk and shouldn't be taken lightly.

I've never had a male neutered, but from everything I've read, it's much less invasive but still carries risks. The important thing with any surgery is to have a highly skilled vet who has done tonnes of successful surgeries on guinea pigs. But as I found out the hard way, even having a great vet with a great track record, does not ensure your piggie will survive :(

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
Rabitsncabyluv-there are many articles relating to "hormones and guinea pigs" google this -"guinea pigs and hormones" and refer to "effect of sex hormones on the immune system of guinea pigs by C. Kittas and L. Henry." This is only one of hundreds of studies on hormones which are chemical messengers in the body. All are very important.. without hormones living beings, all living beings would not function normally. Sex organs secrete hormones that effect other organs and tissues. This is even true in humans. Removing a testical or ovaray disturbes its natural balance thus creating disturbances in other systems. "Spraying" and "being in heat" are natural processes in animals and how do we determine that they are "miserable?" In this statement, we are applying human emotions to animals. It may be true that dogs and cats may live longer if spayed or neutered or it may be true that certain cancers may be prevented, however your preventing one medical problem and chancing the development of another. All in all the animal has no say or rights in this matter.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
I am all for the spaying/nuetering of dogs and cats. It does not only help with the "hormonal" side of things (in my experience with my late dog he became very territorial was spraying everything in site amongst other things - my 2 dogs now are spayed/nuetered though I did have no choice otherwise I would be dealing with heaps of pups), but it does stop them being able to reproduce. If, for whatever reason the animal were to get out and mate with another, then you have added another 10 animals to the list of homeless animals and thats if they even survive. I think the benefits outweigh the negatives by far. Guinea pigs on the other hand I wouldn't nueter/spay unless necessary and by that I mean a medical problem that means that they have to have their reproductive organs remove purely to survive. An example of this is ovarian cysts. I wouldnt adopt a boy, only to have him nuetered to go in with my girls as I dont see that fair on him and would prefer him to go to a home where he doesnt have to undergo such a procedure. If I did adopt a boy, I would be adopting another to go with him, but then there is always the risk of a boy pig ending up in a girl pigs cage or something. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Keep that in mind.

AneesasMuse

Cavy Slave
While I can appreciate both sides of the Neuter/Spay debate, I just want to elaborate on one of the reasons it is so risky for small animals of any kind (small being the factor).

Anaesthesia is hard on large bodies, if not calculated correctly (and sometimes, even if it is correct), therefore, it is a huge jeopardy to the tiny little bodies of our pigs, ratties, puppies and kittens, young rabbits and so on. This isn't to say that it shouldn't be done, though. An experienced Exotics or Small Animals Veterinarian can greatly minimize the risks and it is important to have one of these in your corner anyway. (I always ask "how many surgeries have you done on 'such and such' animal? .. and how many of those were successes? ...and why weren't the others?"

I have a few ratties here, and it becomes necessary for unruly boys.. bloody, ripped flesh, missing toes kind of "unruly" ...and it's a great preventative measure for mammory tumors in females (which is seemingly inevitable with female rats from any background).

I do not have my ratties altered just "willy nilly", though. (and I won't have it done to Giorgi, the piggy, if he and another male ..still looking... can get along well enough) If I have a "bad boy" that is creating a horrific situation for everyone involved, then he gets the 'snippity snip'. If I discover the tiniest "growth" of any kind on a girl, she gets a check up and a diagnosis from the Vet, as to whether she really needs to be spayed (to try and avoid future tumors), or just have that one removed, etc. .

While there have been many studies done on humans and the effects of having hysterectomies, etc. ...hormonal imbalances and such... there isn't much evidence (published scientific studies available to us.. as laymen or hobbyists) to suggest this with small animals. From experience, it certainly doesn't decrease their lifespan (short of surgical or post surgical complications, that can happen to even the healthiest animal).

Just my $0.02 :)

Last edited:

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
We would love to have our Rufus neutered, but we just won't take that chance with his life. If we had a vet who did the procedure on a routine basis, then we would be more willing. But, unfortunately...we don't.

As our vet told us (when Ruby had ovarian cysts removed), the anesthesia is what the biggest risk is with guinea pigs.

kmug500

Cavy Slave
I just had my Guinea Pig Dash neutered last Tuesday. He did very well. And because I didn't do it sooner, we now have two new additions, born last night on my son's birthday. They are doing well and are adorable!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.