PDA

View Full Version : Hate my water bottles!

s_anthony
03-30-08, 04:40 pm
I so far have invested in 3 different types of bottles for my piggies, trying to find ones that don't seem to leak.

I know they all will somewhat, but the recent lixit bottles I have leak ALL THE TIME. The bottles are empty after an hour or so after the pigs are done with them and the pine shavings are just soaked in the area.

I used to be a big fan of lixit, and when I was a breeder used lixit parts to make a PVC water system for my bunnies and pigs.

I'm wondering what you all use in regards to bottles. I prefer the glass bottles because I can clean them much better than the plastic ones, but looking for any suggestions at this point.

Jane_G
03-30-08, 04:43 pm
I use a 6oz glass water bottle with a little ducky inside it for level checking. It's never leaked.

AbsLoveSnicks
03-30-08, 04:50 pm
I use Super Pet Critter Canteens and they don't seem to leak for me.

wiggley_narco
03-30-08, 05:02 pm
Make sure you fill the water bottle up ALL THE WAY. Completely and totally as full as it can get. Then, replace the cap, quickly invert it, and give it a light squeeze to make a stream of water shoot out. That creates the suction necessary to prevent dripping.

It worked for me, so give it a try!

s_anthony
03-30-08, 05:02 pm
I use a 6oz glass water bottle with a little ducky inside it for level checking. It's never leaked.

I have those too, and both bottles leaked although I think they arelarger than 6oz... they were super pet brand.. although the duckies are now floating somewhere in the sewers... as they escaped during bottle cleaning one day... one floated in my S-trap for a few days before sailing away...

s_anthony
03-30-08, 05:04 pm
Make sure you fill the water bottle up ALL THE WAY. Completely and totally as full as it can get. Then, replace the cap, quickly invert it, and give it a light squeeze to make a stream of water shoot out. That creates the suction necessary to prevent dripping.

It worked for me, so give it a try!

Been doin that too.. and they're leaking still... at least the inverted bottles. The lixit ones are the type that have the screw tops on the top that you unscrew to fill. Gravity wins on those though I think..

Jess Z
03-30-08, 05:09 pm
I just bought and LM animal farms 12 oz. bottle a few weeks ago and it is awesome! But today, after breaking another brand of bottle I bought a 64 oz. bottle of LM animal farms. It leaks everywhere! In about an hour it filled up a 1/2 cup food bowl. It is horrible! I'm taking it back tomorrow!

s_anthony
03-30-08, 05:18 pm
I just can't believe out of 6 types of bottles, they all leak!

mbyrne
03-30-08, 06:18 pm
Hey There, I use Living World water bottles. They are plastic, but I have 2 and they DO NOT leak!! They don't even drip, and I don't fill them to the top and squeeze, or do any kinda ritual at all to prevent leaking.

Good luck, Monique

Lourdes
03-30-08, 06:23 pm
I bought two rabbit sized ones before doing enough research so they were a waste of money. Oh, well. I have two new ones one is the flat-bac lixit 20 ounce?? and cost me 8.00 and a 16 ounce one from walmart which costs less than 3.00 and i don't see the difference between the two except that the walmart ones have never leaked and i use the 8 ounce ones for my hamsters.

sophistacavy
03-30-08, 07:15 pm
Small pet water bottle with no-drip, no-leak, sanitary features (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6067+10382+14626&pcatid=14626)

Those are what I'm using right now. I just recieved them, and am still trying to make sure the piggies can drink out of them, as they aren't the typical ball-point sipper tube style.

They never leak or drip, even if the cage vibrates/shakes. They're easier to clean too because of the wide top.

Try them! They're quite a bit more expensive then a regular pet-store water bottle of any size, but well worth it.

Hope that helps,
Katelyn

wiggley_narco
03-31-08, 12:38 pm
If your water bottle only leaks a little bit, you can put a brick under it to catch the drips. Not only does it prevent the mess, but the brick is good for your piggie's nails.

auburnmare5
03-31-08, 05:27 pm
Personally, I don't think that is large enough. How often do you fill it?
For how many pigs? I have a 32 oz. bottle for ONE pig, and I fillit every 2 days (Even though it is not empty). It is by Farnam, and it does not leak.

peanut butter
04-04-08, 05:20 pm
All you have to do is give it a good wash!It worked for me.

bamby71994
04-04-08, 07:33 pm
I have the same one and it leaks. I put a bowl under neath and I'm considering putting bricks underneath. Its supposed to trim down their nails right?

bamby71994
04-04-08, 07:35 pm
You were a breeder? How terrible!

Jane_G
04-05-08, 05:41 pm
Personally, I don't think that is large enough. How often do you fill it?
For how many pigs? I have a 32 oz. bottle for ONE pig, and I fillit every 2 days (Even though it is not empty). It is by Farnam, and it does not leak.

Why isn't this a big enough bottle? In my opinion I think it's fine. I refill it every day or every other day. It works fine for us. It doesn't leak and my guinea pig is able to drink from it easily.

babyboo
04-07-08, 03:29 pm
The bottle that I use for my piggies is a 32oz Animal Planet water bottle that I bought at Target for like $5.00. I leaks for like two seconds when I flip it over to the right side up but then stops. It also comes with a metal spring to attach it to the cage. I think you should try this one.

Sirotan
04-19-08, 03:13 pm
Small pet water bottle with no-drip, no-leak, sanitary features (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6067+10382+14626&pcatid=14626)

Those are what I'm using right now. I just recieved them, and am still trying to make sure the piggies can drink out of them, as they aren't the typical ball-point sipper tube style.

They never leak or drip, even if the cage vibrates/shakes. They're easier to clean too because of the wide top.

Try them! They're quite a bit more expensive then a regular pet-store water bottle of any size, but well worth it.

Hope that helps,
Katelyn

I just received this from Dr. F&S two days ago. I had been using the old Hagen Cascade water bottles for years and loved then, but they discontinued that product line, and a few weeks ago I dropped my very last one on its spout and broke it. Since then I've gone through at least six store-bought bottles, all of which failed (like, would empty completely within an hour). My poor pigs have been drinking out of a bowl for three weeks while I hunted down a new bottle.

They all three took to this new bottle immediately and had no problems using it. Note that you can't really see what its like in the picture, but it is one of those bottles with the metal stem sticking out that they have to move around. I think Lixit makes one, I bought it, and my pigs wouldn't touch it. The stick was too hard to move around. In this one its very easy to manipulate and they all are using it just fine.

It is a bit expensive but they even have a 1 year warranty for defects. It doesn't leak AT ALL, and I highly recommend it.

bluething88
04-25-08, 06:10 am
I have had the same problem, and have gone through nearly every bottle in the stores and they all leak. Over the years I have used many water bottles with only a couple leaking ones. Then I didn't have any small pets for about 6 years. When I got 2 guinea pigs last year, had to buy a new bottle every other day or so until I got the glass no chew Super Pet ones. They have never leaked.