PDA

View Full Version : 10 Steps to Going Vegetarian and other tips

CavySpirit
12-11-04, 12:20 pm
I really like this simple page of advice:

10 Steps to Going Vegetarian (http://www.angelfire.com/biz/radamson/)

If you have other positive 'how to' pages of advice for going vegetarian, please post them here. Please refrain from posting all the 'why you should go vegetarian' links. Just the how-to's for this thread. I'd like to make this thread a sticky for the top of the forum.

Thanks.

chrishall1979
12-12-04, 05:25 pm
There is really only 1 How-to in my opinion. And here it is.

1.) Make a choice that you aren't going to believe all the lies the meat industry pushes down our gullets year after year. Make YOUR choice that it isn't fair to the animals. What makes one creature more sacred than another? Do we treat cats and dogs different because the are domesticated? Well then I have news for you. Cows are domesticated, so are pigs, and sheep. As none of them were originally from this continent. Make the choice that you will not eat meat or consume animal products. It has to be your choice and you have to be ready to make the change and stand for your beliefs.

The only other would be 1 1/2) and that is. Speak out to others about the horrors of how their meat is processed. How leather is harvested. How it takes at least 30 living things to make ONE fur coat. Read about how wool is harvested. AND SPEAK OUT!!! But the ONE AND ONLY clear rule is.... STOP!

I gave up all meat in 1 day. None of this weening yourself off of it. Do not let one more animal die needlessly. The only way is cold turkey just like cigarettes.

I think I stayed away from reasons why you should and kept it on topic.

The whole How-To is QUIT NOW! Not tomorrow, not a week from now, not sometime. RIGHT NOW! Ok I feel better!

Chris

mncavylover
12-14-04, 09:15 pm
That's what I did, except for seafood. I'm gradually getting off that. Sometimes people find that gradual change is better, though I see where you're coming from.

kavykritter
01-15-05, 07:02 pm
Well, that is a great idea to go completely off meat in one instant, Chriss, but for some people, that is not practical or they are not that comitted, or something. I, for example, am only 13, and I still live with my parents, and our lifestyle is such that i just can't do that, so here is how I did it.
1)get to know some vegetarian recipies and nutrition, and inform anybody you need to. (ie parents, if you live with them, whatever)

2)start eating more vegetable protien sources and enjoyable and cut the least important meat meal you eat ina day or a week, or whatever it takes for you

3)decrease how much meat you are eating as slowly as is necessary, and as quickly as is possible and as you would like to.

4) go 100% veggie, and make the commitement to keep it that way!

zariex
07-23-05, 09:04 am
There is really only 1 How-to in my opinion. And here it is.

1.) Make a choice that you aren't going to believe all the lies the meat industry pushes down our gullets year after year. Make YOUR choice that it isn't fair to the animals. What makes one creature more sacred than another? Do we treat cats and dogs different because the are domesticated? Well then I have news for you. Cows are domesticated, so are pigs, and sheep. As none of them were originally from this continent. Make the choice that you will not eat meat or consume animal products. It has to be your choice and you have to be ready to make the change and stand for your beliefs.

The only other would be 1 1/2) and that is. Speak out to others about the horrors of how their meat is processed. How leather is harvested. How it takes at least 30 living things to make ONE fur coat. Read about how wool is harvested. AND SPEAK OUT!!! But the ONE AND ONLY clear rule is.... STOP!

I gave up all meat in 1 day. None of this weening yourself off of it. Do not let one more animal die needlessly. The only way is cold turkey just like cigarettes.

I think I stayed away from reasons why you should and kept it on topic.

The whole How-To is QUIT NOW! Not tomorrow, not a week from now, not sometime. RIGHT NOW! Ok I feel better!

Chris

I have to agree with you wholeheartedly. I went vegan about five months ago and I wouldn't have been able to do it without going cold turkey. I liked [I don't feel anything for them anymore] some stuff... I work at Dunkin' Donuts so milk products surround me all the time. I had to just one day decide "never again."

Alanas
08-08-05, 04:55 am
I would really like to go Vegetarian, however I have tried many substitutes like tofu etc, and I can't stand it. I actually crave meat and I hate that I do. What can I eat that I can chew and feel satisfied with? I had a vegetarian pasta the other day and I hated it. Is there hope for me? Is there anyone else out there who used to be like me? I need help!

guineapiglvr14
08-13-05, 07:21 pm
I think I am like you because I don't like much veg. stuff!

CF#5
08-15-05, 10:55 pm
I think for many people the why and the how are difficult to separate. The why is what provides the motivation, and the motivation is the most important component of the how. That's the internal/introverted part of it. The entire concept of taking a piece of a dead animal and putting it in my mouth has become completely foreign to me. I'd rather be tortured than eat meat ever again. When I smell it cooking, I've become conditioned to get sick. I call it the smell of death. Ironically, I cook garden burgers all the time, and the more realistic the better. But I know there are no dead animal parts in them, so the smell of those burgers doesn't elicit the same type of response.

As for how other people react, that's the external/extroverted part of it. When people are young, we call it peer pressure. When they're older, we call it social norms and expectations. It's necessary to be strong and stick to your convictions and be able to face the social consequences. To cave in and eat meat just because everyone else does it shows weakness. If your friends make fun of you because you don't eat meat, find new friends. But also realize there's a fine line between friendly fun and disrespectful jabbing. If your real friends step over the line make it clear that what they're doing is bothersome and they should stop. If they don't, they're not real friends.

piggy_love
09-05-05, 02:51 pm
I have been thinking about going veg. too. But I think that if I do I should be veg. every other month or week. That way we don't have to have a craving for meat products ALL the time. and then you can make a final decision.
:o

ImissNibbles
09-16-05, 08:08 pm
"Someday" definitely isn't a good mentality to use. That is what I started out saying. That got me nowhere. It takes making the decision to do it in an instant I think. You just have to decide you are going to do it and really do it. Sometimes certain experiences will help you do this. . .(seeing fried guinea pigs did it for me!)

SleepyBirdy
12-12-05, 10:53 am
I started yesterday. Today for lunch i'm having a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich with a small bowl of imitation crab meat. I could get used to this.

Greenwalker
12-12-05, 06:39 pm
I think that personality has alot to do with it. If you're the kind of person who likes to carefully plan things out, and make sure everything is accounted for, then the gradual method is probably for you. Suddenly cutting out something that this type of person has had every day of their life would be tramatic an uneffective.

Now, on the other hand, if your a rather "emotional" spur-of-the-moment-desition-maker like me, the sudden switch would probably be best. If this type of person tried to gradually limit their meat intake, they might just get boared and change their mind; this type of person likes to change their mind quickly. I remember when I first decided to go vegetarian, my mom told me that we were going to out favorite resteraunt, I went upstairs to get dressed, happily dreaming of a meat dish, suddenly though of dead pigs, and came downstairs stating that I was a vegetarian. Both of my parents teased me and said I'd eat meat the next day, but it's been two years and no meat for me!

I think what really helped me make the switch was the fact that the last bit of meat I had was awful. You see, my mother had bought some pre-seasoned pork, but it was really salty and chewy; gross! That's the last meat I remember having, and how could I pine for that? If I'd gone to that resteraunt and had "one last meat dish" (like my mom suggested) it would feel like I was punnishing myself.

BabyGrl
12-12-05, 06:52 pm
I just stopped eating meat cold turkey. It has worked well for me. A few things in the beginning had not been easy. My husband and my favorite resturant is a steakhouse. We still go there to eat but now I just get the vegetarian plate. I basically eat eveything I would have minus the steak. I still enjoy going out and can feel better about it because my meal is healthier for me now.
At first my husband teased me about it but now he is very supportive. I am one of those people that goes on a diet for like 2 days and gets sick of it. He thought this would be like that but he knows now that it is serious and he is really proud of me.

WritingLife
01-06-06, 10:24 pm
I think it helps to stop thinking in terms of "meat replacement" or even "main dish." We're so used to meat being the main dish and vegetables to being mere side dishes, that when we go from meat-eating to vegetarian eating, we still think, "Okay, what do I replace the meat with?" We picture a plate with peas, mashed potatoes, and a giant blank spot. What goes in the blank spot. Veggie loaf? Meat eaters all cringe at the thought.

Instead, I may serve up several dishes that contribute equally to a meal: a thick bean soup, a hearty whole grain bread (I love my bread machine!), and a tossed salad with walnuts and some really good cheese.

I'm not vegetarian now, but I have been in the past. For me, it's not a matter of labels and rules, and deciding, "Now I'm a vegetarian, now I have to eat certain things." For me, it's simply that I find vegetarian foods more interesting, with a wider variety of flavors and textures. When you think about it, there are only a few kinds of meat that we can get at the grocery store, so meat every day gets boring. I'm also weird about food textures. I can't STAND squishy fat and chewy gristle, even a bit of it, in my food, so often it's simply easier to order something vegetarian at a restaurant than order the chicken chow mein and wonder, "Is it going to have that icky squishy cheap chicken that all the Asian restaurants use, with the fat and skin still on?"

Vegetarian cooking is also more ecologically sound, since you're eating low on the food chain. And since I garden, and can even keep chard and (with some care) lettuce going all year round, I have a supply of really, really fresh, sweet veggies of a quality that you can't get in the store. There's a world of difference between asparagus from the grocery section and asparagus fresh cut from your own garden. There are delicious varieties of vegetables and fruits that you can't buy at the store at all (I grow a variety of carrot that is so sweet and crisp that you can't just yank it out of the ground it or it will break off -- you have to dig it up. And I can't find salsify, also called oyster root, at the store at all). And how much more pleasant it is to walk outside a pluck fresh, soft sprigs of rosemary than to shake dry little needles out of a jar.

When I do use meat, I often prefer to use it IN things, as an ingredient or even a condiment rather than a large slab of boring plain meat. And that's another way for carnivores to taper off: find good "peasant food" dishes that use small amounts of meat, like Tuscan pasta dishes with white beans and rosemary in a wine sauce with slices of sausage. Before you know it, you can leave out the sausage and hardly notice. If you go for gourmet vegetarian cooking instead of the dreary "Drink your soy-molasses-brewer's yeast super drink and eat your tofu loaf because they're GOOD for you!" routine that characterized (rightly or wrongly) so much of the 70's health food movement, you'll soon find yourself thinking, "Broiled chicken breast? With mashed potatoes and peas? That's it? Booooring!"

JackSpicerRules
01-31-06, 07:32 pm
I'm the biggest wannabe vegetarian ever. Since I'm young and live with my parents, going Veg. won't be so easy. And my school doesn't have anything without meat in it except the really gross school egg-salad-that-has-been-sitting-out-for-3-hours. My mom cooks alot of things with meat in it except on Fridays, which is our meat-free day.

I guess I can try to be a part-time veg. I'll cut down on the meat at school and maybe pack lunches instead. PB&J sounds good. Yeah. Or maybe cut down on everything a little bit. I want to be veg. a lot, mainly because this site supports it. I'm gonna try... :) Maybe I'll get the tuna salad sandwich tomorrow. Tuna is yummy. Too bad my school doesn't serve PB&J lol

PeruRodent
06-10-06, 03:13 pm
http://www.publicservantlifestyle.co.uk/dynamic/sections/food_drink/article_display.php?id=871

Whit23ney
06-15-06, 09:58 am
I went Vegan two days ago. Cold Turkey, and I used to eat A LOT of meat! Like three meals a day and then some....beef jerkey was a common snack. I found that eating a portabella mushroom burger for dinner at night has stopped any cravings for meat entirely. I put garlic A1 sauce with some lettuce on a sesame seed bun with my Portabella burger and it tastes the same as a hamburger to me. It's not about only eating vegetables, although I have at least one salad a day, it's about finding things to replace your meat products with things that are similar that help cravings go away. Makes this transition really easy for me. Imitation crab meat it actually really yummy in salads as well. I've been putting that in instead of chicken in my salads. Been working so far!

Percy's Mom
06-15-06, 10:53 am
Have you checked the ingredients in your imitation crab meat Whit23ney? Most imitation crabmeat is pollock or another fish that is treated with spices and flavorings, so that it tastes like crab. If you have a brand of imitation crabmeat that is truly vegetarian, please post the brand here.

Whit23ney
06-15-06, 11:39 am
Have you checked the ingredients in your imitation crab meat Whit23ney? Most imitation crabmeat is pollock or another fish that is treated with spices and flavorings, so that it tastes like crab. If you have a brand of imitation crabmeat that is truly vegetarian, please post the brand here.

No, no I haven't checked. When I saw 'imitation' crab meat I figured it was only imitation cause there was a demand for it from vegarians who want meat-free seafood alternatives. Why the hell would they make imitation crab meat only to make it fish anyways? What's the point in that? Damn it! Am I going to have to read labels on my veggie burgers for forbidden stuff too? ~sigh~
I'll have to check when I get home. If it's truly meat free I'll post the brand but with this new found info, I'm guessing not.
Seriously, what's the point of imitation crab meat made out of fish? Might as well just be crab meat!

Percy's Mom
06-15-06, 12:45 pm
Actually there is an answer for that. It's not made for vegetarians. Imitation crab meat is made for people who are allergic to shellfish or for religious reasons do not eat shellfish. There are alternatives to pork products as well. Turkey ham, pastrami, or bacon for example. Generally speaking, if you're going to be a vegetarian or vegan, you should read the labels on everything. Animal byproducts and dairy products sneak into all sorts of unexpected places.

Whit23ney
06-15-06, 12:52 pm
Ah, well then, that makes sense. I will make sure to read all labels from now on. Thank You!
Didn't think of that.

JarBax
06-15-06, 01:11 pm
Very good point PM! When I was vegan, shopping took at least twice as long, because every packet of biscuits etc had to be gone through with a fine toothed comb. There was a time way back then when as a vegan, I couldn't eat cheese and onion crisps - but smokey bacon were fine! Bizarre! Actually, odd though it may sound, I sometimes have a bag of meat-flavoured (but veggie) crisps. If anyone suffers cravings - that may be a handy hint.

(Felt I should add that personally, eating meat is an ethical issue - so eating flavoured crisps isn't a problem for me.)

Susan9608
06-15-06, 01:12 pm
Watch out for things like ceasar salad dressing and potato chips. A lot of times, those products are advertised as "No Added Salt!" What happens is that instead of adding salt to a product, manufacturers use anchovy paste. Anchovies taste salty, so it's an easy substitute.

Also, look into what brand of sugar you use. A lot of sugar is processed with bone char. <shudder>

And of course, there's the gelatin issue ... marshmellows, gummy bears (I think) and a lot of candy have gelatin in it. Kosher gelatin still comes from animals. Agar is plant based.

JarBax
06-15-06, 01:21 pm
Susan - Just checked out my sugar packets - one golden granulated (use most often as unrefined) and granulated, both fairtrade. I imagine it might be the granulated white stuff that has been processed with bone char (dare I askwhat that is?) - but it doesn't tell me on the packet. (NO great surprise there! How do I find out if it's vegan?

Susan9608
06-15-06, 04:30 pm
Bone char is a kind of "natural carbon" made from the bones of cattle. These cattle usually come from Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, and Argentina. It is sold to traders in the Scotland, Egypt, and Brazil who them sell it back to the US sugar industry. (Don't worry - the Eurpoean Union and USDA heavily regulate bone char and only accept it from countries deemed BSE-free).

Basically, bone char is used as a decolorizing filter to give sugar cane its white appearance. It's a filter. Of course, there are other filters that could be used - granular carbon and an ion exchange - but for some reason, people still choose to use bone char.

It's not just white sugar that's filtered by bone char, so you want to watch out for that. Brown sugar is molasses added to white sugar, so companies that use bone char in the process of making white sugar often use it when making brown sugar as well. Powdered sugar (or confectioner's sugar) is just refined sugar with cornstarch, so again, when made by a company that uses bone char on regular sugar, they usually use it on their powdered sugar as well.

As far as brands go, you're not safer with a store brand. Stores by their products from multiple different refineries, so it's impossible to determine if their sugar was filtered with bone char or not. Beet sugar is never refined with bone char, so that's an option.

Here are some companies that do NOT use bone char:

Monitor Sugar
2600 S. Euclid Ave.
Bay City, MI 48706
Tel.: 517-686-0161
Fax: 517-686-2959
Web: www.monitorsugar.com (http://www.monitorsugar.com/)
Florida Crystals Corporation
P.O. Box 471
West Palm Beach, FL 33480
Tel.: 877-835-2828
Fax: 516-366-5200
Web: www.floridacrystals.com (http://www.floridacrystals.com/)
Western Sugar
Western Sugar is a subsidiary of Tate & Lyle (formerly Domino sugar) which does use bone-char filters. However, Western Sugar makes only beet sugar, which does not use bone-char filters.
7555 E. Hampton Ave., Ste. 600
Denver, CO 80210
Tel.: 303-830-3939
Fax: 303-830-3941
Web: www.westernsugar.com (http://www.westernsugar.com/)

And here are some companies that DO use bone char:

C&H Sugar Company
2300 Contra Costa Blvd., Ste. 600
Pleasant Hill, CA 94523
Tel.: 925-688-1731
Fax: 925-822-1061
E-Mail: [email protected]
Web: www.chsugar.com (http://www.chsugar.com/)
Savannah Foods
P.O. Box 335
Savannah, GA 31402
Tel.: 912-234-1261
Tate & Lyle North American Sugars Inc. (formerly Domino Sugar)
1100 Key Hwy. W.
Baltimore, MD 21230
Tel.: 1-800-638-1590
Fax: 410-783-8640
Imperial Sugar
P.O. Box 9
Sugarland, TX 77487
Tel.: 1-800-727-8427
Web: www.imperialsugar.com (http://www.imperialsugar.com/)
Refined Sugars Inc.
1 Federal St.
Yonkers, NY 10702
Tel.: 914-963-2400
Fax: 914-963-1030

JarBax
06-16-06, 11:09 am
Wow - that's all news to me!
First, I thought that cattle were considered sacred in countries where Hinduism is commonly practiced - ie. Asian countries including Pakistan and India, so cows are not (meant to be) killed. Secondly, I was completely unaware that Scotland traded in bone char. Next, I didn't realise that sugar was white - I thought that the muscovado and brown sugars were the least refined of the sugars, and with each refining, they got whiter. And didn't have a clue that brown sugar had molases added!

Tsk, just goes to show you that life's never as simple as it first may appear!

bugginjulz24
07-06-06, 07:59 pm
I have just gone vegan; physically I am feeling pretty good; I did it to clear myself emotionally of the fact that I was killing innocent animals and also for health reasons. Before going Vegan I had been vegetarian since April.
I eat a lot of fruit/vegetables. There are so many mor options for being vegetarian/vegan these days, not just eating tofu and granola. the brand Amy's makes lots of great stuff including soups and forzen meals that are GOOD! Also try Morningstar meat crumbles (taste and look like ground beef) in spaghetti or tacos; Also Boca brand. Many of these have a lot of protein and low fat so they are good for you. I have lost about 5 pounds since going vegan, with the help of excercise. I also try to drink at least a 100 oz water a day (no sodas). Also try Soymilks they are great too!!

Buggie_00
07-06-06, 09:31 pm
I can't give "thanks" yet, but if I could I would definitly put one up there. I want to go veg but because of my diabetis and pregnancy I have to make sure I don't mess with my intakes too much so as not to cause problems, I love the step stone idea and will definitly be trying that.

attackofthebear
08-11-06, 12:16 am
My how-to is to just think of what you are really eating and do you even really know what you are eating in all those supposedly all beef hot-dogs?
I dont like the taste of tofu either so I just dont eat it.

I just got really disgusted by it after I started thinking about it and what I was really eating. I havent eaten meat since and its been almost 5 years. Now I dont even crave it. It took me a couple of days to get off of it and I felt really weak for a few days, but in the long run I know I wont ever regret it. I also agree 100% with Percy. If you are strict about your NO MEAT diet you MUST check labels. Just in case people dont know the differences between a vegan and a vegetarian I'll explain.
A vegan eats/drinks no dairy nor meat.
A vegetarian will eat/drink dairy but will eat no meat.
I have notice even adults get confused by not knowing the difference between vegans and vegetarians ,so I'm not taking a chance. Good luck on becoming vegetarians/vegans.

cavy craze!
08-24-06, 04:49 pm
Hi!
I am ... and cannot go vegan. One reason, are my parents. They won't accept the fact that I don't want to eat animals. They ask me the same question over and over. Would you ratherhave animals such as cows killed and eaten or simple killed for no reason because of over population? How am I supposed to fight back to that? Of course, I pick the first choice. A long while back, I tried becoming a vegatarian but my parents told me I wouldn't be getting proper nutrition. For example, I would rather eat chicken than tofu and hamburger than broccoli.
I find it very hard to go completely vegan. If anyone has any suggestions, please post.
Sylvia

cavy craze!
08-24-06, 04:52 pm
I just read attackofthebear's post. And I have to say I thought vegan and vegatarian is the same thing. Is it ok if I am a vegatarian and not vegan? I really don't want to give up dairy products. If I am a vegatarian, would it still be mean to the animals?

smileyface cavy
08-25-06, 09:01 am
My steps to becoming vegetarian would be:

1. Stop eating red meat. This might be hard; you can do it gradually if it's easier for you.
2. After you get used to that, cut out other kinds of meat from your diet, including poultry.
3. Stop eating seafood, including fish, oyster, crab, shrimp, etc.
4. Lastly, you can try to stop eating products processed with bone char or that have gelatin in them, or find veg alternatives to these products.

Hope this helps.

guineabeginner
09-05-06, 05:26 pm
For me, it took two trys with my parents, and on the second one, they excepted it. The first time I tried was a year ago at Thanksgiving (can't remember what happened to make me want to be vegetarian then...hm) and my parents, just flat out didn't like it. I think I may have pulled it off for a week at the most, and then I got so sick of my aprents nagging me and giving me a hard time about it, that I started eating meat again. My second try, was about...I would say two months ago. I stopped eating meat, making excuses at each meal, then finally my mom asked me "Are you becoming a vegetarian?" and I told her I was. At first she complained, but after a few days I showed her it would not be a pain on her part. She has started to cook vegetarian meals, realizing, my decision can help her with her own health. She has excepted it now, and realized me decision isn't going to change. Really I'd say the biggest part of becoming vegetarian, is informing your family members about it, so they can be comfortable with your decision, other wise it is impossible. My mom would never let me go vegan though. I think I'll want to when I am living on my own, and buy my own food.

TwoPiggieMama
09-17-06, 10:39 am
One thing that helps with parents is to convince them that you're not cutting meat out of your diet, but that you're just replacing meat with other nutritious things. As a vegetarian, you don't even have to eat fake meat. There are lots of plant sources of protein, like nuts and beans, that you can eat instead of meat or fake meat. You absolutely can have a healthy, fully nutritious diet as a vegetarian. It just takes a bit more planning to make sure you're getting all your vitamins and minerals than a regular diet would.

Someone posted above that their school district doesn't have any vegetarian options. Get together with other similar-minded friends and start writing lots of letters to your county's superintendent, your principal, and maybe even your county council about why having vegetarian options at schools would be a good idea. Back when I was in high school, we could get salads, but they cost twice as much as your regular, nasty and unhealthy school lunch. I came across the county's schools website the other day (where they list their weekly lunch menus) and now they include a large salad in the lunch menu, at no extra cost. Failing that, you can always pack your own lunch at home.

I'm not currently a vegetarian, but I've cut down a lot on eating meat. I really only eat chicken and seafood, and red meat is a rarity.

Jessica

standuprookie
10-02-06, 10:03 pm
This is a pretty neat website with a short how to.
TryVeg .com - A Guide to Vegetarian and Vegan Eating (http://www.tryveg.com/cfi/toc/?v=06making)
I had been thinking about becoming a vegetarian for a while then, one day decided it was time and haven't eaten any meat since then.

CBrewton5
11-04-06, 09:40 am
I just read attackofthebear's post. And I have to say I thought vegan and vegatarian is the same thing. Is it ok if I am a vegatarian and not vegan? I really don't want to give up dairy products. If I am a vegatarian, would it still be mean to the animals?

I'm kinda in the same boat, except I knew there's a differential between vegan and vegetarian, but I'm not sure exactly what it is. Is it just that vegans don't eat dairy either because it's milk from a cow and therefore an animal byproduct? I know you can get protein from meat substitutes like tofu, peanut butter etc. but where can you get the requirement for calcium if not through dairy products? My physical condition leaves me susceptible to osteoporosis prematurely, so I have to be really careful to make sure I get enough calcium in my diet.

CavySpirit
11-04-06, 11:33 am
Well, attackofthebear got it wrong.

Technically speaking, if you consume dairy or eggs you are still not a true vegetarian. You are a Lacto-ovo Vegetarian. If you just consume dairy (milk & cheese) and not eggs, you are a Lacto Vegetarian. To be a Vegetarian means NO animal products.

A Vegan takes it a step further and avoids using all animal products in their life--clothing, leather products of any kind, etc. See: Veganism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegan).

And yes, unless you KNOW where your dairy or eggs came from, chances are you are contributing to the harm of animals. Regular dairy and regular egg sources are just as shameful and torturous as meat. Free range eggs can be a joke on a label. You have to do your homework.

CavySpirit
11-04-06, 11:41 am
Re calcium: Getting calcium... - VeggieBoards (http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=49648)

Sabriel
11-04-06, 11:56 am
You can get calcium from soy milk. Soy milk actually has a lot of good stuff in it that cows' milk doesn't have. Iron, your OMEGAs, B vitamins and ton of other good things. It has more calcium too. When I went iron deficient (on a meat eating diet I must add) I switched milks. Cow's milk just wan't cutting it anymore and it gave me terrible stomach aches anyways.

If you aren't a big fan of soy milk they also make calcium enriched orange juice "for people who don't drink milk". It's made by Minute Maid and though it's a bit more pricey then normal concentrate it's worth it. Unless you hate orange juice with pulp like I do. :P

Percy's Mom
11-04-06, 12:27 pm
You can also get calcium added OJ from "Purely Orange", and it's pulp free. I think they also have a medium pulp version, but I'm quite anti-pulp in my juice. If I want to chew orange pieces, I'll eat an orange.

Sabriel
11-04-06, 05:23 pm
Finally, someone who understands exactly why I hate pulp!

Squirle
11-26-06, 04:34 pm
Very interesting topic, its really informative!

I decided to be vegetarian about a month ago but I still haven't got off meat completely. I eat things like hot dogs, hamburgers, pepperoni and chicken but I used to eat much more meat! I only eat meat at dinner and somtimes at lunch but I'd still like to keep going until I've cut off meat completely. What do you reccommend to help substitute the protien from meat? I try to have more cheese and eggs (I don't concider them meat) but I still feel I should get a little more protien for my diet. Suggestions? Thank you

Shaffy
11-29-06, 06:40 pm
Finally, someone who understands exactly why I hate pulp!

I hate too for the same reason!

tcarey
12-02-06, 03:02 pm
I have been 'sort of' vegetarian for the past year or so. Last month I was on holidays and while leisurely poking through a used book store in Sidney, BC, I came across this book:

"For the Vegetarian in You" by Billy Ray Boyd (1996, Prima Publishing, Rocklin, California, USA).

This book is a compelling yet easy to read account of a man, raised in the Ozark mountain area in a pro-hunting culture, and how he became a vegetarian and then a vegan. He goes on to talk about the personal and worldwide implications of meat-eating vs. veg lifestyles. Once I read that we could feed the world easily if everyone went vegetarian, instead of feeding that food to 'food animals' destined for slaughter to feed (likely more privileged) humans, I knew I had to stop eating meat.

My first step toward vegetarianism came last year when on another holiday to BC I found myself parked on the loading deck of a BC ferry beside a chicken transport truck. When I went to get into my vehicle after the ferry ride, I looked over at the chicken truck, at first just pissed off that some chicken poo had gotten on my car. Then I made eye contact with one of the five or six chickens (or the chicken made eye contact with me, I'm not sure which) who were stuffed into a cage only 1 foot high. The truck must have contained hundreds of these cages. I felt nothing but shame to be a human being at that moment. Mr. Boyd's book has helped me work towards the promise I made to those chickens that day. I encourage everyone to read it.

JarBax
12-02-06, 04:14 pm
I know exactly where you're coming from with the eye contact. I have been there with cows, and with a chimpanzee at the zoo. Something I will never forget.

I will look out for that book - it sounds really interesting. I wonder if it is published over here? (Just off to search Amazon...) Thanks!

mgeorge
02-10-07, 08:47 pm
i'm trying to go veggie. I am slowly going off of it by limiting one meat a day and no meat two days out of the week. I'm slowly going to make more and more no meat days.

kristinlove
07-02-07, 07:55 am
I'm young, and its hard to go vegetarian because your parents pretty mich decide what to cook. But I've been trying hard, and really, this site is my motivation. Instead of bacon and sausage every morning, I eat a grilled cheese and a pickle. It really isn't as hard as it seems subsituting meat in your diet. I eat salads a lot for a meal when my parents are eating hamburgers or something. I just decided today to really become vegetarian.

Love4Piggers
09-25-07, 04:33 pm
I was strictly vegan for about 4 years. It's kind of complicated why I'm not any more, and I don't want to get this thread off-topic. But I just wanted to say, there was a time when I didn't even know what a vegan was, and I'm sure there must be others who aren't clear on what veganism is either.

Vegans eat no animals or animal byproducts whatsoever. When you're a strict vegan, that means no meat, dairy, eggs, honey, gelatin, or refined sugar made with bone char. Which means a lot of label-reading, and confusing the hec out of waiters at restaurants making special orders and such. But if you don't mind all that, I say go for it. I think being vegan is wonderful if you are willing to put in the time and self-discipline that it takes.

Most vegetarians are lacto-ovo, which means they don't eat meat, but do consume eggs and dairy.

Just wanted to clarify for people that weren't sure of the difference.

i-love-nev
10-09-07, 06:17 am
I would really like to go Vegetarian, however I have tried many substitutes like tofu etc, and I can't stand it. I actually crave meat and I hate that I do. What can I eat that I can chew and feel satisfied with? I had a vegetarian pasta the other day and I hated it. Is there hope for me? Is there anyone else out there who used to be like me? I need help!

Me two! I craved meat when I went cold turkey hated not having it! I feel the best I have in 14 years just from like 1 month of being vegetarian! youde be glad to do it! I hate tofu, the only 'fake meat' I have found that I like is linda mccartneys burgers, sausages etc etc and all no meat :heart: please go vegetarian! go cold turkey! you will feel sooooo much better! my energy level has like tripled since I went vegatarian a run round a few fields used to ware me out not now :silly: I can go round a the fields 5 times and I want to run more and more he he!

kristinlove
07-01-08, 05:44 pm
I just became a vegetarian today. I just stopped. I've tried before, but I was never committed. I'm motivated now. I had a talk with my mom, telling her that I would do my own grocery shopping (though she could help pay :)), and I would even cook my own meals. I really think I can stick with it this time. It really has come to the point where meat sickens me. It's kind of like when you decide to stop drinking soda. After a while without it, it makes your stomach upset to drink it. I just stopped eating meat today, but it just hasn't tasted good to me anymore.

guineapigluver1
07-07-08, 08:17 am
Good for you! When I went vegetarian, I went cold turkey and didn't have a problem, though I suspect it's because I rarely ate meat anyways. My mom doesn't cook meat a whole lot either.