Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ready to get my first new piggie in 38 years!

Pinster56

Cavy Slave
Hi--I am a newbie to the board. I am a father of a 9 year old girl who wants her first guinea pigs (actually it's an excuse so I can get them!). I got my first pig (a silver agouti) in 1970 when I was 13. I named her Julie, after the Bobby Sherman song "Julie Do Ya Love Me". She was the best pet I ever had, and I want my daughter to share a similar experience.
I have carefully researched the C&C cagebuilding instructions, and I can't wait to get started on making a cage. I have a question, which I am sure has been answered a hundred times, but here goes: I am planning to use CareFresh for bedding. Should I put anything between the Coroplast and the bedding? I see some mention of people using towels. Won't the piggies just pull on it and mess it up? Thanks for your help!

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC!

The towels are only for people who use fleece. They are not needed if using carefresh.

Be sure to read the sticky's at the top of each forum, they are a huge help!

See you around, I'm sure you'll like it here.

wiggley_narco

Cavy Gazer
Welcome!

I'm glad you are enthusiastic about owning guinea pigs, as it is very important for parents to take primary care of their child's pet!

Have a look around and ask all the questions you want... our members are very helpful!

cavyinhawaii

Cavy Slave
You can put the carefresh right on the coroplast. I use a heavy duty drop cloth plastic under mine. It is just so that cleaning is easier. I just bundle it all up and trash it. It is much easier than scooping which I did for a year.
The drop cloth you buy in a roll at lowes check for the thicker mm size. Mine don't chew or have any intrest in it at all. I clip the sides to the coroplast with binder clips .

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Hey there and welcome. How exciting having another piggie around. But ya the question was answered and I hope that you have a fun time with them.

Pinster56

Cavy Slave
You can put the carefresh right on the coroplast. I use a heavy duty drop cloth plastic under mine. It is just so that cleaning is easier. I just bundle it all up and trash it. It is much easier than scooping which I did for a year.
The drop cloth you buy in a roll at lowes check for the thicker mm size. Mine don't chew or have any intrest in it at all. I clip the sides to the coroplast with binder clips .
Sounds like a great idea! I found something at Lowe's called Painter's Plastic. Comes in a roll 12' x 400' and .3ml thick. Is this what you mean? Sounds a bit cumbersome being 12 feet wide. Anybody else using this or something similar?

conclay1995

Cavy Slave
First, I have to laugh about how you named your first guinea pig. My name is Julie and my mom used to sing that song to me all the time! lol

I use puppy pads and then the carefresh. I tape the puppy pads down with painters tape (because it's easy to pull up). It's real easy to clean up, just roll it up and throw it away.

Pinster56

Cavy Slave
Julie, Julie, do ya love me, Julie, Julie do you care......

Anyway, after reading a LOT of posts today, I think I am going to try the fleece method. A lot of folks seem to feel it's the way to go!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.