Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

troubleing Petfinder add

naturegal592

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)
Does this mean that this female is in with 3 males, there is another pig in the picture. Also, why would they recommend all four of them going home with one person. A shelter trying to make the overpopulation of guinea pigs worse?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
The only way you'll know for sure is to contact the shelter, but I doubt she is in the same cage with the males. More than likely, they are indicating that they also have 3 males up for adoption and are looking for homes for them as well.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Hopefully the other boys are nuetered, and you wont know unless you ring them up and ask. If the boys are nuetered, then I understand why they would want them to all go together - perhaps they are already bonded? I know some rescues/shelters prefer not to break up bonded pairs.

If the boys arent nuetered then the only thing I can think of is that this shelter is seriously ignorant. 3 boys and 1 girl may not make for a happy family with all of the boys wanting the girl (even if they are nuetered) either. And I hope like hell that the boys (if they are not nuetered that is) are not roans, as it is clear that this girl is a roan and roansxroans = lethal.

Edit:
That would make sence PM.

i-love-nev

Cavy Slave
If the boys arent nuetered then the only thing I can think of is that this shelter is seriously ignorant.

Ever thought maybe the SOW is neutered? *rolls eyes*

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
i-love-nev said:
Ever thought maybe the SOW is neutered? *rolls eyes*
That is another option that wasn't mentioned and certainly a possibility. Often though, if a shelter is going to alter a small animal, it will be the males. The surgery is less invasive. The more likely option in a human society shelter is that none of the animals have been altered unless their prior owners had it done before abandoning them.

Ever think that maybe you could make a point or post a suggestion without getting an attitude or being snarky while you do it?

zingo-pig-hops

Cavy Slave
(I am not trying to be a smart-allic, but only boars can be neutered. Sows are spayed. It would be rather difficult/impossible to neuter a sow)

In the article it sounds like they have the female in with other girls and the boys are in a cage together and they want the boys to stay together.

naturegal592

Cavy Slave
I just went to the web site and yes she is in with the males, I politely contacted them and told them my concern for the female.

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
If you contacted them did they say if any of them are neutered?

naturegal592

Cavy Slave
I emailed and they haven't replied.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Actually zingo, in some countries neutering is altering or sterilizing any gender of animal. Specifying between neuter for males and spay for females isn't always the case.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
The sow is a roan too. Poor thing.

I don't know. If you look at the pic, it looks like there are some other guinea pigs in the background. You can see part of them.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
They are altogether in the other pics. Notice the ear tags. Breeder dump? Or show person? I hope she doesn't have any lethal whites. You can tell half of them are roans.

(broken link removed) (listed as hamsters??)

(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.